This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts wage deductions

May an employer in Massachusetts deduct money owed to it by an employee from the employee's wages? The employee used the company's charge card for personal reasons and the employer wants to deduct money every week from the employee's paycheck until it is payed up. This employee's wages are already being garnished to pay child support. What, if any, are the limitations to deducting from wages?

What did the agreement that the employee signed when he was issued the card, say? I've had corporate credit cards before and I've always had to sign an agreement that said the company could deduct any personal charges from my pay. That type of agreement would be valid in nearly every state. I could not find anything in the Massachusetts law that would not permit this.

Generally speaking, the employer cannot deduct below minimum wage unless the employee has specifically authorized such deductions, and the deductions are for the employee's benefit. And this is not a "garnishment", which is actually which is a deduction ordered by a court.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 01-09-2006, 12:07 PM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Massachusetts Wage Deductions

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get through to the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office which handles these questions and your answer confirms what they told me. The employer and employee should have a written agreement regarding the deductions to be made and the deductions should not bring the employee's pay below the minimum wage.

Comment

That's scary. I would think you'd like you'd want to have the AGs office confirm what *I* told *YOU*, not the other way around. But thanks for letting me know, anyway.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X