This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deceived

I was a Senior Consultant for this company for over 4 years and had built my pay up through recognized hard work being a company man. About a 11 months ago an opportunity came up that was offered to me to take on a management/application development role as a dedicated resource for one of our clients. Now taking this role was a lateral move and I did not receive a pay increase, but a decent bonus structure was added. It was a working manager role with a lot of development work, I over saw 7 techs, had great reviews and feedback from my management. Most of the same development work was done before I took the job by me as just part of my job as a consultant. This is the interesting thing that I found out the Sales person and Management created the dual role and Manager and Developer just for me and neglected to tell the client. Well as time went on the client found out and demanded that the management role be removed that the development role has enough of a load and the 2 can not co exist. So last week my manger and HR came in and sat me down removed my manger title and cut my pay substantially and removed the bonus structure that was in place. ( I know make less than I did more than 3 years ago) They said that they would offer me a package if I didn't want to stay and I can think about it. I argued my case stating that before I took the job as manger I did all the development work and I didn't feel that it was right. I also explained that they deceived me and the client. The conversations that I had with them were hollow and I got no where. I am now starting to look for a new job, and will ask for a package. I have never been fired from a job before and was wondering what is a good package looking at what happened?

Thanks

There is no law requiring any employer to provide any severance at all, so there's no hard and fast rule that would determine what severance is reasonable.

Absent a valid employment contract, employers set the terms of your employment and can change your job description and salary.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

I agree with Marketeer. But, before you sign anything, a few questions:

1. Is it possible that the demotions and termination are related to something else, like age, race, ethnicity, etc., or in retaliation for a complaint?

2. As a "Senior Consultant", were you compensated as an employee (typically, through a payroll service) or independent contractor?

3. When your job shifted, did they promise you the new position for any length of time?

4. Are they denying you the "bonus" you've earned so far?

5. How many employees in the company?

6. What is your pay rate?

7. Have they given you a written severance or release?

8. Did you sign an employment agreement or any confidentiality or noncompetition agreements?

9. Is there an employee handbook?
      This post is by Philip Gordon, a Massachusetts employment attorney (www.gordonllp.com).

This post is NOT legal advice. It is for general/educational information purposes only. You should not rely on this post if you are making decisions, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post may be considered "advertising" under the MA professional rules for attorneys.

Comment

I feel un appreciated

Originally posted by shortend
        I was a Senior Consultant for this company for over 4 years and had built my pay up through recognized hard work being a company man. About a 11 months ago an opportunity came up that was offered to me to take on a management/application development role as a dedicated resource for one of our clients. Now taking this role was a lateral move and I did not receive a pay increase, but a decent bonus structure was added. It was a working manager role with a lot of development work, I over saw 7 techs, had great reviews and feedback from my management. Most of the same development work was done before I took the job by me as just part of my job as a consultant. This is the interesting thing that I found out the Sales person and Management created the dual role and Manager and Developer just for me and neglected to tell the client. Well as time went on the client found out and demanded that the management role be removed that the development role has enough of a load and the 2 can not co exist. So last week my manger and HR came in and sat me down removed my manger title and cut my pay substantially and removed the bonus structure that was in place. ( I know make less than I did more than 3 years ago) They said that they would offer me a package if I didn't want to stay and I can think about it. I argued my case stating that before I took the job as manger I did all the development work and I didn't feel that it was right. I also explained that they deceived me and the client. The conversations that I had with them were hollow and I got no where. I am now starting to look for a new job, and will ask for a package. I have never been fired from a job before and was wondering what is a good package looking at what happened?

Thanks

re:
        I have worked for a retial company for 3 years and , I just had my review for a pay raise, and I have received the same raise for when I was not doing as much as I am now,when I was at my worse, and part time for 1 yearI recived @ 25.cent raise, then once I improved and it was documented ie , I worked overtime and stayed extra late to finish taggging, where as other employee dont even offer to say extra, work on days off, I cover pples who call in all the time(they never call anyone else)exept me to cover, they expect me to come in earlyer then my shift try 6-8hours early to cover the person who didnt show up + my shift that night . I have also noticed that doing so I am working overtime and on my paystub it doesnt state overtime it just pays me regualrly. then to top it off Ihvae worked hard enough to be the lead in my department like for at least a year and when ever the offer come upp they give it to somone else. for instance they just hired a girl from a opping company who has never worked for our company and within 1 month of working there gave her the lead position and pays her more then other leads who have worked for the company 2x as long as her,but because of the "she use to be my old emplayee at her old job" they are best of friends, my point is is whats going on fair
        is it fair that they have favorites who have been there shorter time,works less hours, works less in general and I get the short end of the stick, theyall get Big raises and I who has been with the company for 3 years has gotten nothing toshow for it, should I quit?

Comment

While your raise may be fair or unfair, depending upon whose point of view is being considered, unless you are being adversely treated because of protected characteristic, such as race, age, gender, religion, etc., this situation is not illegal. There is no law requiring that you EVER receive a raise unless you are making minimum wage and that rate is increased by law.

Regarding overtime, however, assuming you are a nonexempt employee (I take it you are paid hourly), generally speaking you must be paid at 1.5 time your regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a work week. There are a couple of exceptions, though, for inside salespeople who make an hourly wage plus commissions, and those being paid using the "fluctuating workweek" method. If neither of those two exceptions apply, then you file a claim with the state Attorney General's office, which acts as the Dept. of Labor for your state.
          http://www.ago.state.ma.us/sp.cfm?pageid=1129
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X