No announcement yet.

Is this pay cut legal?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is this pay cut legal?

    Hi there,
    I was hired by this company in January 2004, and they started paying me at $X per hour. When I was hired (it's a jewelery store) I did not know the first thing about it, but now, as time went by, I'm a pro at what I do. I am a certified diamondotologist, have my estabilished clientele, and bring my goal in most of the time. Recently I was offered a better job at another company and i took it, meanwhile I did not quit working at my current job, i only went to part time hours, 20-25 per week. Before I cut my hours down I was promised a raise, but today I learned from another associate that not only I was not going to recieve my raise, but that the company would give me a $.50 cut per hour.
    Is this LEGAL?!! Can the company cut my original hiring pay, after all this time and, after I am certified and have my own clientele???!!!
    I know this isn't ethical at all, but i would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me if it's legal.
    Infuriated in Boston...

  • #2
    If you are asking whether or not the law prohibits an employer from cutting an employee's pay, no, it does not. In many states, MA included, you have to receive notification of the pay cut before it happens, but a pay cut is not in and of itself illegal.

    Just because your associate says that your pay is going to be cut, doesn't mean it's going to happen. There are rumor mills in every organization. Unless this individual works for HR or Payroll, how would HE know what the employer is going to do to your pay?

    Don't get upset before you know if there's anything to get upset about.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Thx for the reply. What could my acction be if I get the pay cut without written notice?


      • #4
        Contact the MA Attorney General's office, which serves as the Dept. of Labor in your state.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.