This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay cut

I was offered a new position which was a non management position and was told I would not experience a pay cut if I accepted the job.I accepted the job and 2 months later I was told that I was getting an $11,000 pay cut because of my new position. Is there any recourse for me?

Not unless you have a bona fide contract which specifies that your pay will not be cut. Pay cuts are not illegal as long as you recieve proper notice.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

notice period

what is the proper notice period in MA for changing compensation or commission plans?

Comment

Phil can correct me if I'm wrong but to the best of my knowledge you only need to receive notice in advance of working any hours at the lower rate. While there are a few states that require x amount of time in advance, I don't believe MA is one of them. However, our state website is not the most user friendly in existance and it's possible I might have missed something. Phil?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You didn't miss a thing. There is no notice period in MA for working at a reduced rate when there is no contract, so long as the knowledge is prior to beginning work at that new rate.

You might move to France or England. They've got long notice periods in those countries.

Phil
          This post is by Philip Gordon, a Massachusetts employment attorney (www.gordonllp.com).

This post is NOT legal advice. It is for general/educational information purposes only. You should not rely on this post if you are making decisions, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post may be considered "advertising" under the MA professional rules for attorneys.

Comment

Working...
          X