This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Harrassment

I see alot of info regarding "sexual" harrassment but none on employee to employee harrassment. I feel I'm being harrassed and no one is helping.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Vanessa

Employee to Employee Harassment

The same law applies, whether we are discussing supervisor to employee harassment or coworker to coworker harassment.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Not Sexual

Thanks for the reply.
      What I meant was I see alot of "sexual" harrassment information. What about info on harrassment of a non-sexual nature.

I work with a woman who is making me miserable. My work is being affected. I've gone to the Executive Director, who is retiring next week, and the Director of Nursing. The latest is the Director of Nursing spoke to the Executive Director's boss and she will deal with the problem in approximately 2 weeks; which will be the time she will be in our building. In the meantime I have to deal with this woman who hangs up on me, makes remarks about body parts. Oh, I can go on and on.

It's an awful situation. I'm having chest pain, stomach problems, headaches. I've never experienced the hatefulness that this woman has for me. Thank god I have friends at work that keep me from going over the edge.
      Thanks for any and all information
      Vanessa Foley

Comment

Harassment

Harassment is not necessarily illegal from a labor standpoint (though it may be from a criminal standpoint if the harassment can cause bodily harm or falls under stalking laws). For harassment to be illegal under employment/labor laws, it must be on the basis of discrimination against a person because of a protected status, such as race, religion, gender, disability, national origin, etc.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

workplace harassment not illegal?

In regards to harassment not being considered illegal from a labor standpoint, I used to work at a Massachusetts hospital. Once a year they would update us on our employee rights. One of them was the right to not be reprimanded by a manager in front of a customer or other employees. If you were, it was considered harassment and was illegal by Massachusetts labor laws. Is that not true, or is it possible that it was just a right mandated by the hospital itself? And if it is just the hospital, sounds like perfectms10 is a nurse, could she check if the hospital she works at has a similar rule on employee harassment?

Comment

First of all, this post is 26 months old. I'm sure the OP has resolved this, like, 24 months ago

Secondly, there is no LEGAL right to not be reprimanded in front of other employees or customers, althought that is a good management practice. Although your employer may have considered that illegal harrassment, it is not under employment law.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thank you pattymd

for your quick response to a thread that is 26 months long. I was just looking for some information, no need for the attitude, thank you.

Comment

The moderator here has requested that responders not add on to a thread that is more than a month or so old, unless it's the OP coming back with an update or the responder has an issue with the law being discussed. And, although your post could have been construed to be the latter, it really would have been better if you'd started your own thread.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X