Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former employer claims never got paperwork for my unemployment claim Massachusetts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former employer claims never got paperwork for my unemployment claim Massachusetts

So I applied for unemployment about 4 weeks ago. Spoke with DUI today and they said the only holdup is the response from my former employer.

I spoke with the owner of the company (who I have never met) on the phone today and he claims that they had no idea any paperwork even had to get filled out (they're based in CT). He gave me his email address and said if I can somehow get a copy of the paperwork needed to process, then he will take care of it right away.

My question is: is there any way I can find a copy of the form DUI needs to finish processing my claim?

(In MA it's the DUA, not the DUI.)

Did you ask the DUA if they would do that? That's your first step. They are not going to give you a copy of what they send to the employer; don't even imagine that they will. And you can't find it on line. But they very well might be willing to email it to the employer on request.

BTW, if the employer never responds at all, unless the DUA has changed drastically in the last few years, ultimately they will make a decision based on your information. So you're not going to lose benefits because they're less than responsive - it will just take longer to get them.

(And there is NO state where the employer is not asked for information. The owner may not realize that but your HR department surely does.)
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      (In MA it's the DUA, not the DUI.)

Did you ask the DUA if they would do that? That's your first step. They are not going to give you a copy of what they send to the employer; don't even imagine that they will. And you can't find it on line. But they very well might be willing to email it to the employer on request.

BTW, if the employer never responds at all, unless the DUA has changed drastically in the last few years, ultimately they will make a decision based on your information. So you're not going to lose benefits because they're less than responsive - it will just take longer to get them.

(And there is NO state where the employer is not asked for information. The owner may not realize that but your HR department surely does.)
      Well this all happened after the unemployment office was closed. I will be calling them tomorrow.

I had heard before that I would still get benefits if they never respond. It is good to confirm, but I'd really like to get paid sooner than later.

As far as paperwork for every state, he claimed that he spoke with their HR person (this is a small company so I'm sure she's the only one) and she was the one that educated him on not requiring paperwork.

I will speak to unemployment tomorrow and request them to email the form, but it does raise one more question. Wouldn't they need a way to verify that the email address belongs to someone within the company?

Comment

Take that up with them when you call.

If your HR person is "educating" him that no paperwork is needed for UI, then the one who needs education is your HR person.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X