involuntary deduction for flexible spending account Massachusetts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• involuntary deduction for flexible spending account Massachusetts

SO, I'm doing my taxes and in box 14 I find an entry "SEC125 2054.15" Turbotax says to ignore it as it does every year.
    But, I spend some time looking around google and figure out it is something called a flexible spending account.
    I start reading about them and it may appear that my employer has been deducting money from my pay for this for years.
    So, I was wondering.

Shouldn't they have told me about a flexible spending account and what it is?
    At least mail me a pamphlet ?
    And, can they just sign you up for one without your consent?

Can they require you to have this SEC125 deduction without consent?

I've been working there for 20 years and I've always had direct deposit, live within my means, and rarely look at my checks.
    I will run upstairs to see if they were taking it when I started. I have saved many of my checks.

Also, I'm in a union , so it is possible that there is a requirement that I have to pay for this FSA or that I really didn't pay for it.
    But, I see on a paycheck a reference to sec125 mixed in with the other tax payments witheld.

Like I said, you would think that they would have at some point sent me some plan information or something
    But, it appears from a casual glance that the employer keeps any funds not spent? So, it would be in their best interest to hide it.

(just looked at some old checks. They started it around September of 2007 for about $8 a week and then slowly raised it to the amount it is now $45)

Any ideas?

Holy hannah, you need to be talking to your employer NOW.

If that's really for an FSA, there's a serious problem. FSA's are voluntary benefits; you have to actively elect them and they have to be actively re-elected ever year. They CANNOT, by law, be carried over from year to year.

Call your employer. Find out for sure if that's from an FSA. Then post back.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

agree that you need to speak with your employer. It is possible that they are putting in a descriptor that is not exactly accurate as "Sec125" could mean any pre-tax benefit -- do you pay health insurance premiums pretax, for example? Not all Sec 125 benefts are FSAs.

"Employers use Box 14 on Form W-2 to provide other information to employees. Generally, the amount in Box 14 is for informational purposes only; however, some employers use Box 14 to report amounts that should be entered elsewhere on your return.

PLEASE NOTE: Employers use many different abbreviations and codes in Box 14 to report a variety of information. The program cannot determine your employer's intent based upon the code or abbreviation used. If you have questions regarding the information reported in Box 14, contact the employer that issued the W-2. " http://www.taxact.com/tsupport/FAQDi...p?Question=649

Comment

Any update, chrisr?

Comment

Working...
        X