This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws against Salaried employees during shutdowns Michigan Massachusetts

I am new to this site, but I see a lot of good information!!

My employer has notified certain personnel that we will be required to take time unpaid for a week, because the company is shutting down due to business being so bad. They only gave us 2 weeks notice.
    I was under the assumption that this was not possible for Salaried employees.

Can someone give me some insight into this or somewhere I can find information on this?

Thanks,

This is for Massachusetts. I must of hit Michigan by mistake. Sorry.
    Last edited by workalways; 11-07-2006, 09:17 AM. Reason: Miss typed

Other than the WARN Act which applies to layoffs (6 monoths or more) in large companies (100 or more employees), I know of no laws prohibiting the type of short-term/temporary closure described in your post.

MA is an at-will employment state.

This post is by Philip Gordon, a Massachusetts employment attorney (www.gordonllp.com).

This post is NOT legal advice. It is for general/educational information purposes only. You should not rely on this post if you are making decisions, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post may be considered "advertising" under the MA professional rules for attorneys.

Comment

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

Thanks again.

Comment

And, just to add a point, assuming when you use the word "salaried", you mean "exempt", exempt employees must be paid their full weekly salary for any workweek in which they performs services. If the business is closed down for the entire workweek, exempt employees don't have to be paid for that workweek at all. See paragraph (a) here:
        http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR541.602.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X