This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduction of Benefit time Massachusetts

Today I was informed that my "benefit time" (vacation and sick time) would be reduced by one week per year till it is down to 14 days (I currently have 21 days). The company I work for moved locations in May 05 and decided to change names therefore becoming a brand new company. When this change took place we were assured that our benefit time would be grandfathered in and therefore we would be able to keep our benefit time along with other benefits we had earned. Is this legal?

That depends on whether you are saying they will be taking away time you have already earned, or that you willl be earning less time in future.

In MA, they cannot take away vacation time you have already earned but not yet used (though they can sick time). However, they can change the policy so that IN FUTURE you will earn less time.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

As a result of the "new company", are the remaining employees being officially terminated and rehired?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X