X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help forced to work on days I work another job. Massachusetts

Hi,
    I'm new here and really need some help. I work two jobs and I'm in college. My main job is as a waitress, but it is only part time on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Every other day I go to school except Sundays. On Sundays I take care of my brother that is handicap with MD. I get paid by the state to do this, so it's not like a under the table job. My brother gives me my schedule and he already knows ahead of time what days I work at a restaurant.
    Just last week the restaurant decided that every waiter and waitress had to sign up for three holidays to work (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, New Years day, and Easter). None of those days land on days that I work for them and four of the five days land on days I work taking care of my brother. Can my work really force me to work days that they know that I don't work regularly? On top of that they know I work those days at my other job taking care of my brother? It just seems like to me that they are taking advantage of knowing that it is my brother and he won't fire me.

I am afraid that a job can do this sorry!

Comment

they can? even if I have another job? What gives them priority over my other job?

Comment

Originally posted by MelD139 View Post
        Can my work really force me to work days that they know that I don't work regularly?
        Yes.

On top of that they know I work those days at my other job taking care of my brother?
        Someone needs to work the holidays. I think they will fill their openings on a voluntary basis. When they run out of volunteers, folks will get forced to work.

They MIGHT take into consideration that you have other committments. Have you asked?

It just seems like to me that they are taking advantage of knowing that it is my brother and he won't fire me.
        I doubt it. You aren't the only person who is being asked to work on holidays. Other folks have plans, too, and that may include having other jobs.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

And they don't have to take your other job into consideration.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for the info people.

Comment

Sorry it could not be more positive, but it is truthful. Good luck to you!!

Comment

Working...
              X