This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part-time empoloyee meals/hours question Massachusetts

I have a clerical part-time position at a local business (my hours are 8:30am to 1:30pm four days a week - a 20hrs/week position). My boss has recently required all employees to punch-out for a half-hour lunch. The problem is I now only am working 18hrs. I understand a 6 hour day requires a half-hour break, but how does this effect my situation? Am I under the whim of my employer because I am part-time? Since I was hired for 20hrs, can I stay longer on a couple of days to make up the time....or is this entirely in the employer's hands?

Your boss can set the rules.

You can and should talk to the boss about your situation and get him/her to exempt you from the half hour lunch requirement.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Because the law only requires breaks for shifts of six hours or longer, does not mean that an employer cannot require breaks for shorter shifts. By all means follow Scott's suggestion and see if the employer will exempt you from the policy. But if he insists that you must take the break anyway, you have no recourse except to find other employment; it is his right to set the hours you work, and that includes breaks.

BTW, it has nothing to do with your being part time; it is his right to set the hours for full time employees as well.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X