This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let go, now a bad mouthing from former co-worker! Massachusetts

i was let go from a job that i was doing well in, all because of a co-worker's complaints about me.

in addition, the co-worker was called by a person who had reviewed my resume, and bad-mouthed me so egregiously that i was not hired for the new job, even though i was perfect for it.

do i have any recourse to sue or take any other legal action?

Originally posted by lordclod View Post
    in addition, the co-worker was called by a person who had reviewed my resume, and bad-mouthed me so egregiously that i was not hired for the new job, even though i was perfect for it.
    How do you know this? And do you know exactly what he/she said?

Comment

And, there have been times when I thought I was a "perfect fit" for a job. Doesn't mean there weren't 5 other people who also thought so, and the employer deemed one of them more of a "perfect fit" than me.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Or, and almost even more likely, 25 other people.

In other words, just because you may have been a perfect fit, it doesn't mean you were the ONLY applicant who was a perfect fit.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by rjc View Post
          How do you know this? And do you know exactly what he/she said?
          i was told by a recruiter who had submitted my resume for review.

i don't know what exactly was said, but it was bad enough that they didn't hire me, and the recruiter said that it was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            And, there have been times when I thought I was a "perfect fit" for a job. Doesn't mean there weren't 5 other people who also thought so, and the employer deemed one of them more of a "perfect fit" than me.
            yep, i realize that. but i got at least two recruiters who got my name from monster, and submitted my resume. one of the recruiters had called my former direct supervisor and gotten a sterling recommendation from him before i was even submitted for the job.

Comment

And the same thing could have happened to 16 other people.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                And the same thing could have happened to 16 other people.
                um, okay. but i am pretty sure that i was the only really great fit in the area, just judging from the number of calls i get from recruiters who saw my resume on Monster, and judging from the fact that they wanted to hire me to start on last thursday -- after putting the job online on tuesday afternoon.

the only thing that precluded me from getting that job was the comments given by my former co-worker.

Comment

And you are prepared to PROVE that the ONLY reason you did not get the job was these comments? You have sufficient evidence to convince a court that but for these comments, you would UNQUESTIONABLY been given the job?

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                    And you are prepared to PROVE that the ONLY reason you did not get the job was these comments? You have sufficient evidence to convince a court that but for these comments, you would UNQUESTIONABLY been given the job?
                    i believe so, if the word of two recruiters (Robert Half Technology and Aquent) have any weight, as well as documented proof of the animosity of this former co-worker.

is that enough?

Comment

i don't think that i need the testimony of the potential hirer. he or she related the comments to the recruiters.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I misread your post, so I deleted my message because, quite frankly, the answer made no sense to your question.

However...if the recruiter did not tell you what was said, how do you know that whatever was said was false? Not false in YOUR OPINION, but blatantly, factually false?

"Lordclod was a complete jerk and has a horrible work ethic" is not factually a lie. Now, everybody in the world may disagree with that assessment, but it is an opinion. You have no case.

"Lordclod stole $15,000 from this company and is wanted in 7 states for a murder spree" is a balatant lie. THEN you would probably have a case.
                        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                        (unique up on him)
                        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                        (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4 View Post
                          Yeah, sorry, I misread your post, so I deleted my message because, quite frankly, the answer made no sense to your question.

However...if the recruiter did not tell you what was said, how do you know that whatever was said was false? Not false in YOUR OPINION, but blatantly, factually false?

"Lordclod was a complete jerk and has a horrible work ethic" is not factually a lie. Now, everybody in the world may disagree with that assessment, but it is an opinion. You have no case.

"Lordclod stole $15,000 from this company and is wanted in 7 states for a murder spree" is a balatant lie. THEN you would probably have a case.
                          okay, fair enough. that's why i'm here, to find out.

my former direct supervisor gave me a sterling review. a former co-worker gave me a bad review. what now?

Comment

Maybe talk to your former supervisor about this problem you are having with the co-worker?

Honestly, I don't know. I'm confused as to why they spoke with the co-worker to begin with if they had already had a conversation with your supervisor.
                            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                            How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                            (unique up on him)
                            How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                            (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4 View Post
                              Maybe talk to your former supervisor about this problem you are having with the co-worker?

Honestly, I don't know. I'm confused as to why they spoke with the co-worker to begin with if they had already had a conversation with your supervisor.
                              it was the recruiter who vetted all my references, and submitted my resume for review. they were satisfied that i was a great candidate, and were surprised at the negative feedback they got from the potential employer.

so was i.

Comment

Working...
                              X