This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less pay and more work hours Massachusetts

I work as a salaried employee for a dry cleaner in Ma. The boss just came to all of us 6 managers (individual stores) and told us he was making a $50 decrease in our salaries due to rough times in our company. At the same time one of my empoyees quit due to a conflict with her college courses. So, I was left with 10 more hours to work and a $50 reduced paycheck. The boss said he would not take the $50 if I didn't replace the employee, but of course he did take the $50. I saved him $63 by not replacing the employee and now I'm working 65-70 hours for my salary. Can he reduce my paycheck due to his careless business sense?

Unless you have a bona fide contract that specifies that your salary can never be reduced, yes, he can lower your salary, even if your work hours increase. The reason is immaterial.

Caveat; if your salary goes below a guaranteed $455 per week, then you are non-exempt by definition and MUST be paid for each hour worked, and overtime if you work over 40 hours in a week.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X