This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacation as part of 2 week notice Massachusetts

I plan on giving my 2 week notice soon. I have a week of accrued vacation time remaining. Can I use this as part of my 2 week notice. For example, notice given on Sept 15 with last day to be Sept 29, but I would be on vacation during the 2nd week of the notice period.

Many companies prohibit the use of paid vacation once you give notice. That's strictly up to the company. However, under MA law, the pay for whatever vacation time you have as of your termination date must be included in your final paycheck.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

May I ask what would be the point of giving notice and then taking vacation as part of it? The whole point of giving notice is to transition your job duties off to others, something you cannot do if you are not there.

But Patty is correct; it is entirely up to your employer whether to permit this or not. Any vacation time you have accrued but not used has to be paid to you at term, so even if they will not allow you to take it you will not lose it.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X