Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Educational Riembursement- Do I have a leg to stand on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educational Riembursement- Do I have a leg to stand on?

A last employer paid for my MBA via a partnership with a college in MA. Participation was optional. But it is "highly suggested" that top performers get this MBA to accelerate inside the company. This encouragement occur during reviews and also as part of admitance to the program...as the top 35 out of 200+ top performers inside the company are hand-picked each year to join the program.

But to the my question. After getting "seduced" into & completing the MBA program I subsequently left the company. Upon departure I was asked to
    pay back a portion because of the employee agreement I signed when I started...any educational expeses within the last year had to be paid back.

Any chance I can shake this obligation to pay back?

I was almost pushed into by my mgmnt & culture..would not have it done otherwise. This occurred w/ MA company...I now live in WA if that matters at all.

Doesn't matter if you were "pushed" or not. Frankly, that was a good push for you; having an MBA is NEVER a detriment, unless you're looking to flip burgers for a living.

If you signed the agreement, what makes you think you can get out of it now, after you reaped the benefit of the free education?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

"highly suggested" and "almost pushed" infers, if not outright acknowledges, that you could have chosen not to participate. In other words, I think it would be difficult to demonstrate duress and/or coercion, which may be able to help you "skate."

However, the agreement sounds legal and enforceable, but without reading it it is difficult to offer more insight.

How much would you owe?

Comment

Think of it this way, did you list your MBA on your resume for the new job?

Of course you did. That is why they have that in place... to keep you from learning on their nickel and leaving for greener pastures the minute your tassel changes sides.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Working...
        X