This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary overpayment Massachusetts

I was working as a teacher at a private school in Massachussetts, and finished my position in mid-June. However I continued receiving paychecks all summer, and so I assumed, since i had not received any COBRA information or any of my paystubs, that I was getting paid through the summer, as I know some teachers do. I received a call today from my employer saying they discovered I had inadvertantly been receiving extra paychecks (direct deposited into my checking account), and now they would like to fix it. They have yet to tell my how much I owe them.

What is the Massachusetts law regarding this? Do I have to pay back all at once, or can I pay back over time? I imagine I owe at least $5000 in net pay, and there is no way I can pay this back at once.

I appreciate help on this, and apologize if there has already been a post like it. I couldn't find anything that specifically related to Massachusetts.

Yes, you would have to pay back an ovepayment, how long you have is up to them. They may demand it now, or work with you.

Comment

Yes you owe it all back. If you hadn't signed up for summer pay, assuming your school even has this option, I can't imagine why you would have assumed the money was yours. If you wish to pay it back in installments, I'd speakto somone in payroll with a payment plan in mind.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
      X