This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to work day off when business closes Massachusetts

My husband works for a retail plumbing and kitchen supply store. This happens a couple of times of year around Monday holidays (Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, etc.), and it has never sit right with me:

If a business closes on a particular day, are the employees truly required to work their day off? He is a salaried employee.

For example, the upcoming Labor Day holiday: They are closing the store on Saturday and for the holiday on Monday (my husband typically works Saturdays and is off on Tuesdays and Sundays). Management states that if one does not work their day off to make up the time, then they will be charged a vacation day or lose a day of pay.

If the business is closed, I just can't see how that is legal (nevermind, ethical).

Thanks in advance...

There is nothing illegal about this. In fact, it's not even necessarily unethical.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I don't agree with it, obviously. They are choosing to close their business for the day.

Thanks for the quick reply, though! Appreciate it...

Comment

An employer is not required by law to provide holidays. They are a gift on the part of the employer.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X