This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required to pay for training Massachusetts

Husband works at a car dealership as a business manager. It was brought up in their last weekly meeting that all managers are required to take a particular sales course and that they would have to pay $60.00 a month. I believe this course is about $700.00 or so.

Further it would require them to watch all the sales material & do the course work on their own time. If they did not approve they would no longer be welcome to work there.

Simple question... is this legal to require your employees to pay for their own training?

Thank you.

J

Yes, it is. At least in the circumstances you describe.

Keep in mind that this information is not company or product specific (at least, that's what your post sounds like) which means that your husband will retain the knowledge and skills he learns there to use at another employer, if he so chooses. It's not like the only person who will benefit by his attending that class is the employer.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And he also should be able to write it off on his income tax return as educational expenses.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X