This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about job references Massachusetts

I need some advice on how to handle job references.

I had an interview today which I got through a recruiter and it went very well. The recruiter gave me some very positive feedback about me from their client and I think they may at least ask me back for a second interview - maybe even offer me the job(whoops, I probably just jinxed myself!). Before I left the recruiters office, the recruiter asked me for job references from my last employer, including my supervisor.

Here's the rub. When I was left my last job, my boss and I were not on good terms. Although the corporate policy is for any calls regarding job references to be forwarded to HR, I suspect that if my manager gets a call from this recruiter asking about my employment she will trash me, jeopardizing my chances of getting the job.

Can my ex-employer legally pull something like this? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'd like to know before I provide any of my references.

Thanks in advance.

Your employer may give any information that is true or that they honestly believe to be true. They may offer their honest opinion, even if it is negative. They may not give false information (this does not mean that you have to agree with everything they say) and they may not give information in such a way as to be intentionally misleading.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And the best thing to do is to cover yourself up front. "My direct boss and I had different opinions on certain issues and I may not get a stellar reference from him." or similar. Then also provide names of other supervisors or co-workers that can vouch for your work ethic, etc. That happens and, as a hiring manager, I'd rather hear it from the candidate first than be broad-sided.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X