This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meal Breaks Massachusetts

I work over the road for a medical company servicing patients on the evening shift.(3pm-12am) My work day can sometimes be 9 hours or over, due to heavy call volumes. I know they have to give me at least a 30 minute break. Sometimes I don't get that so I will put in for "No Dinner"
    My question is. Is there a law that after 6 hours being on the road they have to give me that 30mins or can they wait till the last 30mins of my shift to give me a dinner break?
    I am a border line diabetic and also have hypothyroidism. I need to eat my dinner before 9pm. If I eat later my sugar and thyroid is not right for days.

MA is not one of those states that dictates precisely when a meal break must be taken, just that it is. So there would be nothing illegal in MA law about giving you your meal break at the end of the day, as long as you get it.

However, since you have medical conditions that is affected by when you eat, there is another law that might help you; the ADA. You would need to talk to your employer about a "reasonable accomodation" being made for your condition(s), with that accomodation being when you get your meal break. I would start with someone in HR, if there is an HR department.

Good luck to you. My mother has the same conditions you do and I occasionally have blood sugar problems myself, so I'm quite sympathetic. Let us know if you need more information.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X