This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must I pay for Drive Offs Massachusetts

Our manager has told us that we are responsible for paying for gas if someone drives off without paying Is he legally entitled to make us do this?

Paying out of your pocket or deducting from your paycheck?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Drve offs

He did not say, is there a difference?

Comment

There may be. Deducting from the paycheck without the employee's written, noncoerced authorization is prohibited by law. "Asking" for payment in cash is not a violation of any law as such, but instead could be construed as a violation of public policy.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Can I say "No"

If asked can I say "no" without losing my job? If he insist for payment do I have options open to me?
          Many thanks for your help

Comment

In cash at the end of your shift out of your pocket?

Comment

yes. at the end of shift or end of week out of my pocket.

Comment

Contact the Attorney General's office which serves as the Dept. of Labor in your state. It is likely that either 1) this would be considered a subterfuge to avoid having to get a written authorization to deduct from your paycheck; and/or 2) you would have a possible case for a wrongful termination should you be fired for refusing to pay.

Comment

I will do that, thank you for your help

Comment

Working...
                  X