X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA-Maternity Time Off

Let me start by giving you info on me

I have been emplyeed for 3 years and am covered under the Family act. I am due in September We are in the middle of our Company being sold ( hopefully by months end), so I am assuming my time in will be grandfathered. If it is I just heard from a friend in H.R for a different company that MA passed a law that requires businesses to pay 12 weeks of maternity leave...Is this true and is there a % they are required to pay or is that up to the employer

If by chance the new company ( also has Family eave coverage) does not grandfather us over and will not hold my position or give me the time off can I fight this as our company is being sold

Thank You
    Lisa

No, it is not true - at least, not yet. There is legislation under discussion which, if passed, will make MA the second state in the US to require paid family leave, but it has not yet been signed into law.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking in the second question. Grandfather you with regards to what?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Granfather I mean...Our time in should be grandfather over to the new company as we are not "technically" new employees

Comment

May I safely assume you are talking about length of employment?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Yes . Because we are being sold my tim in with benefits should be 3 years with the new company--if they decide not to "grandfather" us and start us as new employees can I do anything to fight for Maternity leave??

Comment

While in this case grandfathering is not really the correct term in this case, I think it is overwhelmingly likely that you will find you still are credited with the full three years.

However, under MA law, any employee who has completed either her probationary period or three months employment is entitled to eight weeks of unpaid maternity leave. If the sale goes through in May, you will have completed three months service with the new ownership by September, even in the extremely unlikely case that your time with the original ownership is not credited.

Comment

Working...
            X