This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required to find own replacement for vacation Maryland

I work for a very small non-profit, as a nursing assistant. Our nurse requires we line up our own replacements whenever we want time off. There are only 3 "on-call" people available, and all 3 have said they aren't able to work my shifts. I want to attend an out-of-state family reunion in May, and need one weekend off. I'm upset that my ability to see my aging father and aunts/uncles is decided by whether or not a co-worker is willing to work a weekend for me.

Is it legal for an employer to require the employee to find their own coverage, in order to use paid, planned, accrued vacation leave?

thanks much.

Yes, it is. It's not even all that uncommon.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, sorry but not illegal.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

My Mother works in the medical field as well and this kind of policy is pretty standard. Perhaps if you explain the reason you need the weekend off, one of your coworkers will be more willing to trade shifts. Weekends are always tricky to get coverage as those are the most desireable days to have off.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
        X