This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Duty Maryland

Does Maryland have any laws regarding employers providing time off for Jury Duty? Can you require the individual to use leave (We have a paid time off policy, no differentiation between sick and vacation or other leave).

Also, do we have to have different rules if the employee is exempt or non-exempt?

Public employers must pay for jury duty and not require the employer to use leave time. There is no provision in state law regarding pay (or not) for private employers.

Relative to the difference between exempt and nonexempt, the FLSA regulation here re: salaried exempt:

(3) While an employer cannot make deductions from pay for absences of an exempt employee occasioned by jury duty, attendance as a witness or temporary military leave, the employer can offset any amounts received by an employee as jury fees, witness fees or military pay for a particular week against the salary due for that particular week without loss of the exemption.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.1.22.7.85.3

I would note, however, that the regulation is silent on the usage of PTO time.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X