This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unions Maryland

Can an employer in the state of MD require you to join a union?

Joe is correct, however, not every employer/ union in MD has such a rule. I'm in MD and have 3 unions where I work and membership is entirely voluntary. You will have to ask at the place where you desire employment to find out what the policy is there.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I work in the public sector. The question has come up among my co-workers as wether or not to try and make our union a closed shop. I was just trying to figure out if it was legal or not.

Comment

Well it is possible. It is also possible to petition to be permitted to charge an agency fee for those who do not wish to join but for whom the union bargains. Whether you do it or not is more of a culture and morale decision. Mine have made a deliberate decision not to do either, but then membership for the largest of the units is roughly 96%. One is pushing 100% (there are maybe 2 employees who are not members). I don't know the figure off the top for the 3rd but it is pretty high as well. In my industry, this is fairly typical. In others, not so much. This is something I would talk over with the leadership of the union, including those outside your place of employment.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
        X