This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overtime pay Maryland

I am a registered nurse. I work private duty for an elderly client. I have been employed for 4 years working 60 hours a week. The POA refuses to pay overtime. Am I entitled to overtime pay? I was hired privately and do not work for an agency.

POA = Power of Attorney?

The "employer" is not required to pay overtime by federal law. The Fair Labor Standards Act applies to businesses with revenue of $500K or more and dealing in interstate commerce. If it applies to an individual contractiing personal services, I would be surprised.

You and the other party can negotiate the terms under which you will work and be paid, but don't look to FLSA to bolster your position.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Agree with ScottB.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Past that, even if FLSA is applicable in some general sense, there are some potential specific exceptions for both RNs and caregivers.

RN exception

Home care workers
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

There is also nothing in state law that would contradict this.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
          X