This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• severance pay Maryland

Is there any law covering severance pay? My company was purchased last year. The new owners had the first downsizing layoff in November of 2007.
    They offered all laid off employees a package based on salary and time with the company. In late March of 2008, they announced tehy would close one of two locations in maryland and that an additional group of employees were to be laid off. Then they announced a final date in late May to end operations, and the remaining emplooyees would be laid off. Neither the group in March or the final group were offered any severance. Is there a precedent to follow in offering the last two groups something because the first group was given a severance?

Severance is totally up to the company. Just because they offered it in a previous lay off situation does not mean they must offer it in the future. If they are closing entirely, it may just be a matter of not having the funds to pay severance.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

There are only three states where severance is ever required by law; it is only required by law in some circumstances in those three states; Maryland is not one of the three.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X