This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What constitutes harassment? Maryland

If a manager stated to an IT person setting up a computer for an employee to not give them any programs because the manager wants to make the employees life at work miserable.

What if the manager unjustly accuses someone of lying on their timesheet?

What if a manager requires only one employee for no reason to call and verifiy their arrival and departure time but doesn't require it of any other employee?

Is there a list of harassing behavior somewhere? Or guidelines or something?

It's illegal harassment when the behaviors are predicated upon a protected characteristic (i.e., the affected employee is being singled out on the basis of race, gender, ethnic origin, etc.).
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sorchard View Post
      If a manager stated to an IT person setting up a computer for an employee to not give them any programs because the manager wants to make the employees life at work miserable.
      That's not harrassment. What kinds of programs are these, anyway?

What if the manager unjustly accuses someone of lying on their timesheet?
      I can't imagine that this is an injustice. Incorrect, maybe. But, not necessarily a big deal.

What if a manager requires only one employee for no reason to call and verifiy their arrival and departure time but doesn't require it of any other employee?
      Not harrassment.

Is there a list of harassing behavior somewhere? Or guidelines or something?
      No, it would be bigger than the Bible.

Without additional information, nothing that you've described is illegal.
      Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

In repsonse to programs I mean like anything other than the basic MS Office suite.
        I have nothing on my computer that would allow me to help anyone do any work.

Comment

In repsonse to programs I mean like anything other than the basic MS Office suite.
          I have nothing on my computer that would allow me to help anyone do any work.
          What are your job responsibilities? Do you need these programs in order to do your job?

Comment

They are giving me absolutely nothing to do... nothing. Their plan is to get me to quit on my own out of boredom.

I am currently looking for another job.

Comment

I also didn't get any type of raise on my yearly evaluation and was told it was because of poor work performance but no one could give me one single example of this.

Comment

I also didn't get any type of raise on my yearly evaluation and was told it was because of poor work performance but no one could give me one single example of this.
                No law requires a raise.

Comment

But if they are saying it was due to poor job performance shouldn't they be required to give me at least ONE example of this poor job performance?

Comment

But if they are saying it was due to poor job performance shouldn't they be required to give me at least ONE example of this poor job performance?
                    Should they, or does the law require it? No, the law does not require it.

Comment

Should they? Certainly. Are they required to by law? No.

I agree with you that they very well may be trying to get you to quit. Dumb idea on their part, IMHO, but not illegal.
                      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If they want to pay you to do nothing at all, no law is going to prohibit this.
                        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
                        X