This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniforms Maryland

My employer just told me that I can't clock in to work then go change into my work uniform. I wanted to know is there a law against this?

Also my employer said that I can't bring my breakfast to work with me and eat it while I work.

Originally posted by tyrone27 View Post
    My employer just told me that I can't clock in to work then go change into my work uniform. I wanted to know is there a law against this?
    Generally speaking, no. I require my security guards to show up in uniform. They are not going to be on the clock for changing into or out of uniform. Now it might be different if you have to don a lot of PPE that cannot be worn off site. There are a couple of fairly recent court decisions about that.

Originally posted by tyrone27 View Post
    Also my employer said that I can't bring my breakfast to work with me and eat it while I work.
    The solution is to get up earlier and eat your breakfast before going to work.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

What ScottB said. What type of uniform are we talking about?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Here is a link to a write up of the Supreme Court's most recent uniform case:

http://www.lawmemo.com/blog/2005/11/...and_dof_1.html

Comment

Exactly, Jim. But we still don't know from the OP whether the "uniform" to which he refers qualifies as "protective clothing". Not sure why this even was litigated; I thought the FLSA regulation was pretty clear as it stood.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Whether the time spent getting dressed for work is compensible is up to federal law, not state. Are you being required to wear a costume or special gear that can not be worn to work?

No law in either MD or federally requires your employer to allow you to eat breakfast while working.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
            X