This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Massachusetts Michigan

Hello, I need advice. I have an employee that quit without notice last week. She was paid her final paycheck and is now demanding 2 weeks of paid vacation. Am I entitled to give it to her after she left with no notice what so ever?
    Thanks for your advice!
    M
    Last edited by MistyLK13; 03-05-2007, 04:53 AM.

Which state is it? Maryland, Massachusetts, or Michigan. Makes a difference.

Did she HAVE the vacation earned?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The state is Maryland. We do pay vacation pay although we do not have a policy regarding whether or not any built up vacation will be distributed after an employees quits. I asked someone else in business and they said that since they quit with no notice that I am not obligated to pay it. I just want to be clear. Thanks for advice!
      M

Comment

That's not necessarily correct. Here is the law:
        http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wa...usedvacpay.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

T
          Thanks! I will call them. I very much appreciate the help!
          M

Comment

Be forewarned that the DLLR frowns on making vacation pay out conditional. In other words, as long as you communicate clearly up front that it will not be paid out, you do not have to, but once you start putting conditions on it like the person must give notice or leave voluntarily, the DLLR gets funny about it.

My advice would be to just pay it unless you have an overall policy not to. If challenged, your legal costs to fight it are probably going to be more than the value of the vacation anyway.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
            X