This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructive Discharge? Maryland

I am currently working under very stressful conditions. I am not sure if there are any laws protecting me, though. My story is long and complicated, but I will try to just cut to the chase. My bosses have hired someone else without any specific need for them. They have made this person my “back-up” but really have no work for them to do and have not had us work together at all. It is my feeling that they are trying to phase me out and offer my position to this new employee. Today, my two bosses called a surprise meeting. My immediate supervisor had prepared three pages of notes listing examples of how I am failing at my job. Among the long list of items she had constructed only three were actually legitimate complaints. Of those three items, my supervisor was involved in two, and I believe shares in the responsibility for them. All of the others were really from left field and completely unfounded on facts. I accepted responsibility for my errors and assured them that I would not do anything similar again. However, they decided that I have communication problems and have instructed me not to discuss anything on the phone with anyone. From now on, I may not initiate a telephone call to anyone; if anyone calls, I am to answer the phone, listen to whatever question or topic the caller wishes to discuss, tell them I will get back to them, document the issue in a log, and then reply to them via e-mail with copies sent to both bosses. None of the errors I have made were from miscommunications, offensive language, or anything else I can think of that would merit this kind of restriction. I really put a lot of time and effort into my work, and feel like the few mistakes I have made are being magnified while all of the positive contributions I have made are not acknowledged at all. I am very good about meeting deadlines and managing multiple tasks. I do not know how I can perform my job under the current conditions. I am going to give it a good try, but the new way of communicating will probably double the time it takes me to get through my daily work. I have been putting up with my immediate supervisor threatening my job for random, inappropriate reasons for a number of months now. When we took the issue to HR, my supervisor denied ever saying the things that she said. I specifically asked during that meeting with HR if I should start to look for another job and the response was, “No.” I really feel like they are trying to force me to quit. It will not be easy for me to find a job in my specific field, so I am very concerned about losing this job. Sorry this is so lengthy. I tried to keep it short. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

It is legal to hire another employee for your job.

It is legal to restrict your telephone conversations.

It is legal to surprise you with a meeting. It is even legal to be wrong about the circumstances of that meeting.

It is also legal to fire you for any or no reason with or without prior notification.

I am not saying that I wouldn't feel stressed as well... but there is nothing illegal in your treatment.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Working...
    X