This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I entitled to vacation pay Maryland

Recently at my work I was overpaid on my check and my boss said don't work about it he didn't want the money back. An employee who sucks up to him all the time has made it very difficult for me to work there the past few days, stating I was a thief and I stole money, then started telling lies about me in which the boss believed. Emotionally she had me spent, therefore I told my boss I could no longer work there becasue of her verbal abuse. My question is, our office had no policy and procedure handbook, so am I entitled to my three weeks vacation? I also filed for unemployment, how will verbal abuse leaving a job play a factor into that?

Thanks,
    asdunnin

In Maryland, in the absence of a company policy promising the payout of unused vacation, they are not required to pay it out.

As far as unemployment goes it will depend upon whether you can convince the board that you had "good cause" to quit that is attributable to the employer. Note that good cause for unemployment purposes is not the same thing as a good reason overall.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Unless your employer has a past practice of paying out unused vacation, no you are not entitled to it.

As for UC, in this state, I gave up trying to guess what they would decide in and particular circumstance as long time ago. Apply. It can't hurt. According to the regs, this would not even come close to making you eleigible, but the state doesn't always stick to those real closely.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
      X