This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave Payout Issue Maryland Massachusetts

I have an employee that I had to terminate because of work rule violations, after he had given his notice. Our policy, outlined in our employee handbook, is that if you are terminated under these conditions, you are not entitled to receive payment of up to 80 hours of leave. If you do give proper notice and work through the 30 day period, you are entitled to collect a payout only up to 80 hours of accrued leave.

He is now saying that he wants payment of his 300 hours of accrued leave, not just the 80, and he is threatening to take us to court.

Are we correct and even if we are, what type of legal filing could he have??

He signed an acknowledgment of receiving the employee handbook, by the way, so he cannot argue that he did not know of the policy.
    Last edited by mcdougal; 01-12-2007, 05:37 AM.

Since he was made aware of the policy, I don't see a problem here. Let him sue.
    http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wa...usedvacpay.htm
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Let him sue

Thanks, Patty.

That's what I thought but it still ticks me off that we have to go through this, even though we let him know beforehand what the policy was.

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't seem right, does it? If he tells prospective attorneys the whole story, maybe he won't be able to find anybody to take the case. (Yeah, right )
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X