This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired with no explanation Maryland

I'm trying to find out whether my employer can fire me without any reason. I was fired and when asked the reason, I was told that they [upper management in the company] had decided to end my employment. There was no further explanation given. I have been promoted twice in the last year and given a substantial raise within the last 6 months for my excellent performance. I have no verbal or written warnings on my record with this company and it just doesn't seem to make sense. I am, however, the only female minority in the company that is ( or was) in a middle or upper management position. Is what they did legal? Somehow, I feel like they have to give you a reason or else what's to stop people from discriminating?

There is no law that requires them to give you a reason for the termination. In a very few states, UPON YOUR WRITTEN REQUEST they must provide you with a service letter which provides, among other things, the reason for your termination, but MD is not one of those states.

However, if you have a reason to believe that your gender or your race/national origin played a part in your termination, you are free to file a complaint with the EEOC.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Why do you think yor race and gender have anything to do with your firing?
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I have concerns based on the fact that the owner of the company is known for his misogynistic point of view on valuable employees and he has never willingly brought in a woman for any management position. When he has no choice but to promote a woman (only done when she is the only available person in line for the job) he pays them a third of the salary that he pays the men in the same level of management. I know men still make more (I'm not completely naive), especially in the corporate world, but this owner has made comments about past and current female employees like he "should have known they couldn't do their job to a satisfactory level because they are women." My race only pops into mind for a source of concern because like I said, I am the only minority woman who had a management position, and my work was exemplary and I had no verbal or written warnings concerning my performance to point to there being a professional reason for my dismissal.

Comment

If you believe your gender and/or race were a factor in your discharge, then you may file a complaint of prohibited discrimination with your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC. While not required, you may find it helpful to consult with an employment law attorney before taking any action.

Comment

Working...
          X