This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws on Flex Time In Maryland

My company requires that we put in 40hrs a week plus. I work a six day work week but, to make sure that we don't have overtime they make us take longer lunches or come in later. They don't want to pay the overtime. I flex out 5-7 hours a week. I read that comp time is not legal in Maryland. Is this considered comp. time???

It is perfectly legal for the company to control your hours such that you do not actually work more than 40 hours in a workweek. What do you mean by you "flex out 5-7 hours per week"? How is that "comp time"?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

When I said I flex out 5-7 hours per week I meant if i was not forced to take 2 hour lunches then I would end up being paid for a 42-44 hour work week. Yes they are controlling the hours but only to add another day of work Sat. for 3 hours. Normal work day is 8:30-5pm and tue is 8:30-7pm. some days we go past the usual time because of business. I have to end the week on Fri. with 37 hrs.
      Maybe comp time is not related.

Comment

This really does not have anything to do with comp time.

It is legal for your employer to schedule you in such a way as to ensure that you do not work over 40 hours a week. No one promised you a 5 day work week.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

What your employer is doing is legal. It is not comp time. They may adjust the schedule so that you only work 40 hours.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
          X