This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbal abuse, among other things Maryland

My husband is working for a company in Maryland. He was transfered down here when the plant closed in Massachusettes, where he recieved awards and praise for his efforts. Since being down here he has gotten bad reviews, verbally abused by his boss and other employees, and is working basically 20 hours a day because they have him doing like 5 peoples jobs since he is on salary, including picking up propane in his own vehicle for the plant. (He is a material purchaser). Is there anything that he can do? We are going insane here, any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Generally speaking being a jerk is not unlawful. However if the harassment or abuse is a direct result of your husband's membership to a protected class as defined under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, then that would be a problem. Otherwise it's just a bad business practice.

Comment

Re: reply

Thanks I will look into that.

Comment

Unfortunately, what you describe is unfortunate, but not illegal.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by confused75 View Post
          Thanks I will look into that.
          Why do you think the treatment has anything to do with a characteristic protected by law? You didn't reference anything like that in your original query.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Re:

I think it is because he was promoted to this position from another state, and not from within the company (in this area). He is being put down because of where he is from.

Comment

Originally posted by confused75 View Post
              I think it is because he was promoted to this position from another state, and not from within the company (in this area). He is being put down because of where he is from.
              This doesn't qualify as a protected characteristic as defined under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Just because an employer hires a prospect from out of state does not mean it's unlawful discrimination.

Here is a link that defines unlawful discrimination: http://www.eeoc.gov/.

He may not think it's right. But I still do not see anything unlawful as disclosed in your post. I'm sorry!

Comment

Working...
              X