This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Labor Laws -- Help??

Can someone help clear up a few questions for me regarding the laws in Maryland.

By law is an employer REQUIRED to allow you to take a lunch break?

From my understanding we have the following:

1) Work less then four hours - No breaks required
    2) Work 4 - 7 hours - Entitled to 1 15 min break
    3) Work 8+ hours - Entitled to 2 15 min breaks and 1/2 hour lunch

Now my employee has cut the breaks down to 10 minutes each, and they are also saying that on the weekends we CAN'T take a lunch break.

Is this legal?

unpaid breaks

Rest and Meal breaks are not required by either Federal or Maryland state law. As such, it's to the discretion of the employer if they are even offered at all.

There are some industry specific exceptions (i.e. airline pilots). Also if you are employed under an enforceable employment contract or collective bargaining agreement, those agreements would hold precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by cpres View Post
      Can someone help clear up a few questions for me regarding the laws in Maryland.

By law is an employer REQUIRED to allow you to take a lunch break?

From my understanding we have the following:

1) Work less then four hours - No breaks required
      2) Work 4 - 7 hours - Entitled to 1 15 min break
      3) Work 8+ hours - Entitled to 2 15 min breaks and 1/2 hour lunch

Now my employee has cut the breaks down to 10 minutes each, and they are also saying that on the weekends we CAN'T take a lunch break.

Is this legal?
      As robb71 stated, NOT required by Federal or Maryland state law.
      I agree this is Totally NOT fair. goes back to what i was speaking about in another topic. As Employee's there are NOT many rights we benefit from. In NOT all but certainly MOST occuranices The employer floats away on top.

Comment

Originally posted by shoemwthemoney View Post
        As Employee's there are NOT many rights we benefit from. In NOT all but certainly MOST occuranices The employer floats away on top.
        No requirement for employers to provide vacations, holidays, sick time, medical, dental, 401(k) or other benefits, but many do. Employees do not have a RIGHT to those, but they get them without the government forcing employers to provide them.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

And if the Maryland assembly chooses to make such laws, they are perfectly free to do so. And you have the right to lobby them to do so.

Seems like you can't please all of the people all of the time. Posters here complain when the law requires breaks, but they don't get to take them. Others complain when the law requires breaks, but they don't want to take them, but the employer forces them to. Still other posters complain that the law doesn't require breaks, but the employer requires them anyway. And yet, further posters complain that the law doesn't require breaks and neither does the employer.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

From the DLLR website

www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wagepay/wpbreaks.htm

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wa...unchbreaks.htm

And Federal www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
              No requirement for employers to provide vacations, holidays, sick time, medical, dental, 401(k) or other benefits, but many do. Employees do not have a RIGHT to those, but they get them without the government forcing employers to provide them.
              Im sure most employers that do provide the above do so with direct reason.
              No Vacation, No Benefits, No Holiday Pay!
              Companys would NOT be able to Retain a skilled employee.
              "You get what you pay for"

Comment

Working...
              X