X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short term disability question

My wife and I had a baby about seven months ago. And she had a c-section
    that put her on disability for 8 weeks. My question is that while she was on disability and being paid by the ins. company, her work was charging her for insurance even though she was not receiving a pay check and she was forced to repay the balance of 8 weeks of ins. payments when she started back up. Is this wrong or is their something or someone I need to talk to.

Was she being asked to pay the entire amount of the insurance, or just the amount that she would have been paying if she were working?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Just her portion not the entire amount. But it doesnt seem right that she would be responsible for paying something when they arent the ones paying her. Isnt that what short term disability does. Is take care of you financially within reason of course.

Comment

It is entirely legal for them to require her to pay her portion of the insurance. In fact, if she is on FMLA the law specifically states that she is responsible for paying her own portion.

Why should her employer be responsible for paying the entire portion of her insurance, at a time when she is not performing any work?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X