• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a job?

What's the average length of time it takes someone to find work? I may
    be an idiot when it comes to marriage, but I was a good employee
    except for that last infraction. I'm surprised I've not heard
    anything by now. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks.

Finding a job?

"B. Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    What's the average length of time it takes someone to find work? I may be an idiot when it comes to marriage, but I was a good employee except for that last infraction. I'm surprised I've not heard anything by now. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks.
    Brian, DH got laid off about 8 years ago. He had to take a job where he
    made only about 2/3 of his previous salary for about six months, during
    which time he looked for, and obtained, a position commiserate with his
    previous position.

I believe I've heard (don't ask me where) that, generally, it is better to
    have a job, ANY job, when looking for a job, than not. You might want to
    think about looking outside your skill set, or below what you really should
    be making, and get something for the interim.

Sheila

Comment

Finding a job?

On Thu 21 Jul 2005 05:33:35p, B. Chamberlin wrote:
      What's the average length of time it takes someone to find work? I may be an idiot when it comes to marriage, but I was a good employee except for that last infraction. I'm surprised I've not heard anything by now. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks.
      I was out of work from Sept 2003 to Feb of 2005, though I filled in with
      temp postions. My ex was let go from his employer April of 2004, and he's
      still unemployed.

--
      Cal~

calliope 123 at gmail dot com

Comment

Finding a job?

On Thu 21 Jul 2005 06:27:43p, WhansaMi wrote:
        I believe I've heard (don't ask me where) that, generally, it is better to have a job, ANY job, when looking for a job, than not.
        Yes, this is true. There are actually companies set up that provide a
        'Company Front' so to speak, with a receptionist, phones, faxes, offices
        and conference rooms, etc.. so that people can appear to be employed while
        job hunting. The funny thing is, most everyone knows who they are and
        what they do, but it still seems to 'work'. These types of companies are
        usually utilized by top executives and such and are often a 'perk' of
        those laid off through no fault of their own.
        --
        Cal~

calliope 123 at gmail dot com

Comment

Finding a job?

Getting a job *is* a job.

Some pointers (I've proven very good at this, by the way):

* Most jobs are not filled by people answering ads. In fact, most openings
          are never advertised. They are filled by people knowing somebody. You need
          to call your contacts in your industry.

* Every cover letter you send should be written for that particular job.
          Plus, you should have several different copies of your resume, each tailored
          to a specific focus (for example, one for retail management, one for retail
          buyer, another for marketing manager, etc etc)

* Speaking of resumes, how is yours? You realize most don't even get read.
          People make the mistake of agonizing over silly details - the resume has one
          purpose, and one purpose only - to make your phone ring. That's it. In other
          words, tell them what they want to hear.

* Use this time wisely. If you haven't posted your resume to every online
          service you can think of, well... why haven't you? Most of them can be
          tailored to send you job openings in your field via e-mail everyday.

* Use this time wisely #2 - Learn something. If you don't know HTML, learn
          it. Learning to make and upload webpages is one of the most important skills
          you can learn... why? Because you can make a little three page "about Brian"
          website, and direct employers there. It's stuff like this that got me hired
          over more qualified people more than once.

* do something *every single day* related to getting a job. And I don't mean
          circle want ads.

* get out there and talk to people. Go to companies you'd like to work at
          and try to make an appointment with the supervisor of the department you'd
          like to work in. Say "I'm looking for a job, and I just wanted to introduce
          myself to you"

* don't sleep late. Your competition isn't.

I've done all of the above when looking for work. Always remember that there
          are people like me competing with you. People willing to do that much more.
          The people who send resumes and wait for a call will never, ever beat a
          person like that.

Comment

Finding a job?

Have you filed for unemployment?

Comment

Finding a job?

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:09:27 GMT, "jwb" <[email protected]>
              wrote:
              "B. Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected] .com...
              Getting a job *is* a job.Some pointers (I've proven very good at this, by the way):* Most jobs are not filled by people answering ads. In fact, most openingsare never advertised. They are filled by people knowing somebody. You needto call your contacts in your industry.* Every cover letter you send should be written for that particular job.Plus, you should have several different copies of your resume, each tailoredto a specific focus (for example, one for retail management, one for retailbuyer, another for marketing manager, etc etc)* Speaking of resumes, how is yours? You realize most don't even get read.People make the mistake of agonizing over silly details - the resume has onepurpose, and one purpose only - to make your phone ring. That's it. In otherwords, tell them what they want to hear.* Use this time wisely. If you haven't posted your resume to every onlineservice you can think of, well... why haven't you? Most of them can betailored to send you job openings in your field via e-mail everyday.* Use this time wisely #2 - Learn something. If you don't know HTML, learnit. Learning to make and upload webpages is one of the most important skillsyou can learn... why? Because you can make a little three page "about Brian"website, and direct employers there. It's stuff like this that got me hiredover more qualified people more than once.* do something *every single day* related to getting a job. And I don't meancircle want ads.* get out there and talk to people. Go to companies you'd like to work atand try to make an appointment with the supervisor of the department you'dlike to work in. Say "I'm looking for a job, and I just wanted to introducemyself to you"* don't sleep late. Your competition isn't.I've done all of the above when looking for work. Always remember that thereare people like me competing with you. People willing to do that much more.The people who send resumes and wait for a call will never, ever beat aperson like that.
              All seems like valid advice. Thank you.

--Brian

Comment

Finding a job?

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:52:26 -0400, "dejablues" <[email protected]>
                wrote:
                "B. Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected] .com...
                Yeah, it pays a whopping $316 a week and I haven't gotten a check yet.

Comment

Finding a job?

"jwb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                  "B. Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                  Getting a job *is* a job. Some pointers (I've proven very good at this, by the way): * Most jobs are not filled by people answering ads. In fact, most openings are never advertised. They are filled by people knowing somebody. You need to call your contacts in your industry.
                  Also read trade journals. DH found an unadvertised job by writing to an
                  employer who had been quoted about the difficulty of hiring qualified
                  technical people locally.
                  * Every cover letter you send should be written for that particular job. Plus, you should have several different copies of your resume, each tailored to a specific focus (for example, one for retail management, one for retail buyer, another for marketing manager, etc etc)
                  To a person, the hiring manager to be specific. I once got a job by calling
                  the receptionist at a company I wanted to send a resume to. I told her I had
                  to send some material to the director of development, but lost his name and
                  extension. My boss was going to kill me! I figured, worst case if the
                  receptionist did not bite, I would be an anonymous goof ball.
                  * Speaking of resumes, how is yours? You realize most don't even get read. People make the mistake of agonizing over silly details - the resume has one purpose, and one purpose only - to make your phone ring. That's it. In other words, tell them what they want to hear.
                  There is a book called Knock 'Em Dead which is fairly good with job hunting
                  that covers many of the things jwb is mentioning.
                  * Use this time wisely. If you haven't posted your resume to every online service you can think of, well... why haven't you? Most of them can be tailored to send you job openings in your field via e-mail everyday. * Use this time wisely #2 - Learn something. If you don't know HTML, learn it. Learning to make and upload webpages is one of the most important skills you can learn... why? Because you can make a little three page "about Brian" website, and direct employers there. It's stuff like this that got me hired over more qualified people more than once. * do something *every single day* related to getting a job. And I don't mean circle want ads. * get out there and talk to people. Go to companies you'd like to work at and try to make an appointment with the supervisor of the department you'd like to work in. Say "I'm looking for a job, and I just wanted to introduce myself to you" * don't sleep late. Your competition isn't. I've done all of the above when looking for work. Always remember that there are people like me competing with you. People willing to do that much more. The people who send resumes and wait for a call will never, ever beat a person like that.

Comment

Finding a job?

In article <[email protected]>,
                    B. Chamberlin <[email protected]> wrote:
                    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:52:26 -0400, "dejablues" <[email protected]> wrote:
                    Yeah, it pays a whopping $316 a week and I haven't gotten a check yet.
                    I was unemployment 18 months ago, for 3 months. Luckily, I filed in
                    Maine and not New Hampshire. They paid a max of $198 a week, Maine paid
                    $256.

See http://www.claiminformation.com/unem...p.htm#benefits

GGG

--
                    To contact me: [email protected]

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
                    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
                    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Comment

There's no such thing as an "average" time to find a new job. It varies wildly depending on the region of the country and what you are qualified to do.

However, in the current job market in most places, two weeks is nothing. You can probablyexpect it to take several months.
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Finding a job?

B. Chamberlin <[email protected]> wrote:
                        I don't know, but I've heard Craig's List is a good place to look - free
                        to employee.

Comment

Working...
                        X