• Show
Clear All

• Comparing divorce pre-1960, to now

If youre a BabyBoomer, you know that the pre-1960 era was a time when
    divorce was rare as compared to today. What do think are the main
    reasons ??

Comparing divorce pre-1960, to now

ChimChimery ChimChimery wrote:
    If youre a BabyBoomer, you know that the pre-1960 era was a time when divorce was rare as compared to today. What do think are the main reasons ??
    I *know* what the main reasons are. I don't just "think" them. But you
    don't really wanna hear em. So perhaps I'll just leave it there.
    (Well, perhaps).

Comment

If youre a BabyBoomer, you know that the pre-1960 era was a time when divorce was rare as compared to today. What do think are the main reasons ??
      I *know* what the main reasons are. I don't just "think" them. But you
      don't really wanna hear em. So perhaps I'll just leave it there.
      (Well, perhaps).

Comment

'I *know* what the main reasons are. * I don't just "think" them. *
        But you don't really wanna hear em. * * So perhaps I'll just leave
        it there. (Well, perhaps).

Reply: Bill, You always have good insight. Id like to hear what your
        thoughts are on this. Please list explicitly. Thanks.

Comment

'I *know* what the main reasons are. * I don't just "think" them. *
          But you don't really wanna hear em. * * So perhaps I'll just leave
          it there. (Well, perhaps).

Reply: Bill, You always have good insight. Id like to hear what your
          thoughts are on this. Please list explicitly. Thanks.

Comment

Bill in CO wrote:
            'I *know* what the main reasons are. I don't just "think" them. But you don't really wanna hear em. So perhaps I'll just leave it there. (Well, perhaps).
            Reply: Bill, You always have good insight. Id like to hear what your thoughts are on this. Please list explicitly. Thanks.
            Well, a few decades ago (as in the 1950's), the roles were much more clearly
            defined and differentiated for men and women, and, moreover, they
            *complemented* each other. This was the age of the *nuclear family*
            (well, there were other ages, but that's before my time). Usually, the
            mom was the caregiver and homemaker, always there for the kids, and the dad
            was the provider, usually out to work all day. But both needed each
            other, and both *complemented* each other. (Well, hopefully they also
            "complimented" each other too!) But there was always someone home for the
            kids during their critical developmental years, unlike today. So, unlike
            today, the nuclear family was the rule, and NOT the exception. (yes, there
            were also dysfunctional relationships, and women had less opportunities to
            escape that problem then they do today - and I do acknowledge that)

So this pretty much changed when women entered the workforce, and BOTH
            became "providers". Yes, there were (and are) *way* more career
            opportunities for women today, which is great - EXCEPT for one thing: WHO
            is there for the kids? (No one, quite often). Now, people are so rushed
            they often have to grab a bite to eat at a fast food restaurant on the way
            home. And as for "quality time" at the dinner table, with the kids?
            Don't make me laugh! It's a LOT harder to accommodate and find this these
            days. We are too rushed - too busy. And for what? What have we
            really gained, in the Big Picture? Are we happier as a nuclear family
            today?

The problem wouldn't be such a huge problem today if we were just talking
            about families who decided not to have children. But once the decision is
            made to have children, the whole thing (and consequently, society, in the
            larger picture), just falls apart, and you can *clearly* see the results in
            society today - or at least *I can*, since I've been around long enough to
            witness this "stellar transformation". People that haven't generally
            don't know what I'm talking about, and/or just deny it, because it hurts to
            acknowledge it. And then there are just some that say it's always been
            this way, or society is always changing, so what's the big deal, etc, etc,
            etc. But the important thing is that we have TVs and cell phones and
            Nintendos in each room, and that 3 car garage! (the fruits of OUR collective
            labor)! I mean, in the final analysis, that's what's important, right?
            Isn't it? And we are all so "self-fullfilled" these days! You know,
            it's just remarkable how far we have progressed!

/end sarcasm

Comment

Bill in CO wrote:
              'I *know* what the main reasons are. I don't just "think" them. But you don't really wanna hear em. So perhaps I'll just leave it there. (Well, perhaps).
              Reply: Bill, You always have good insight. Id like to hear what your thoughts are on this. Please list explicitly. Thanks.
              Well, a few decades ago (as in the 1950's), the roles were much more clearly
              defined and differentiated for men and women, and, moreover, they
              *complemented* each other. This was the age of the *nuclear family*
              (well, there were other ages, but that's before my time). Usually, the
              mom was the caregiver and homemaker, always there for the kids, and the dad
              was the provider, usually out to work all day. But both needed each
              other, and both *complemented* each other. (Well, hopefully they also
              "complimented" each other too!) But there was always someone home for the
              kids during their critical developmental years, unlike today. So, unlike
              today, the nuclear family was the rule, and NOT the exception. (yes, there
              were also dysfunctional relationships, and women had less opportunities to
              escape that problem then they do today - and I do acknowledge that)

So this pretty much changed when women entered the workforce, and BOTH
              became "providers". Yes, there were (and are) *way* more career
              opportunities for women today, which is great - EXCEPT for one thing: WHO
              is there for the kids? (No one, quite often). Now, people are so rushed
              they often have to grab a bite to eat at a fast food restaurant on the way
              home. And as for "quality time" at the dinner table, with the kids?
              Don't make me laugh! It's a LOT harder to accommodate and find this these
              days. We are too rushed - too busy. And for what? What have we
              really gained, in the Big Picture? Are we happier as a nuclear family
              today?

The problem wouldn't be such a huge problem today if we were just talking
              about families who decided not to have children. But once the decision is
              made to have children, the whole thing (and consequently, society, in the
              larger picture), just falls apart, and you can *clearly* see the results in
              society today - or at least *I can*, since I've been around long enough to
              witness this "stellar transformation". People that haven't generally
              don't know what I'm talking about, and/or just deny it, because it hurts to
              acknowledge it. And then there are just some that say it's always been
              this way, or society is always changing, so what's the big deal, etc, etc,
              etc. But the important thing is that we have TVs and cell phones and
              Nintendos in each room, and that 3 car garage! (the fruits of OUR collective
              labor)! I mean, in the final analysis, that's what's important, right?
              Isn't it? And we are all so "self-fullfilled" these days! You know,
              it's just remarkable how far we have progressed!

/end sarcasm

Comment

Bill, I agree with you 101 % .

Comment

Comment

You're kidding. That must make all of a whopping two of us in here!
                    Guess we're both out to lunch.

Comment

You're kidding. That must make all of a whopping two of us in here!
                      Guess we're both out to lunch.

Comment

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:35:03 -0600, [email protected] (ChimChimery
                        ChimChimery) wrote:
                        If youre a BabyBoomer, you know that the pre-1960 era was a time whendivorce was rare as compared to today. What do think are the mainreasons ??
                        Because in the 60s, the feminazi movement had not yet succeeded in
                        pushing women into the workforce. Women needed the man's paycheck.

By the 1970s, women realized that they had their own paycheck and didn't
                        need a man. They left marriages in droves, took the kids, refused to let
                        the father see/participate in the child's lives, and used the arcane
                        legal system to extract huge sums of money from the ex-husband.

This clearly demonstrates that most women are feminists, and only marry
                        as a way in enhance their financial/personal security.

Feminist filth is everywhere.

An American man today is crazy to marry. If he wants children their are
                        several ways to have one, without marrying.

Comment

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:35:03 -0600, [email protected] (ChimChimery
                          ChimChimery) wrote:
                          If youre a BabyBoomer, you know that the pre-1960 era was a time whendivorce was rare as compared to today. What do think are the mainreasons ??
                          Because in the 60s, the feminazi movement had not yet succeeded in
                          pushing women into the workforce. Women needed the man's paycheck.

By the 1970s, women realized that they had their own paycheck and didn't
                          need a man. They left marriages in droves, took the kids, refused to let
                          the father see/participate in the child's lives, and used the arcane
                          legal system to extract huge sums of money from the ex-husband.

This clearly demonstrates that most women are feminists, and only marry
                          as a way in enhance their financial/personal security.

Feminist filth is everywhere.

An American man today is crazy to marry. If he wants children their are
                          several ways to have one, without marrying.

Comment

'Bill, I agree with you 101 % .

You're kidding. * That must make all of a whopping two of us in here!
                            Guess we're both out to lunch.'

REPLY: No..it just makes us Old Timers from an era that was vastly
                            different and so much better than todays culture.

Comment

'Bill, I agree with you 101 % .

You're kidding. * That must make all of a whopping two of us in here!
                              Guess we're both out to lunch.'

REPLY: No..it just makes us Old Timers from an era that was vastly
                              different and so much better than todays culture.

Comment

Working...
                              X