• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thought

Hubby and I are taking off for the beach for a day and a half. We just
    spent 7 days in a lakeside cabin with 8 kids ages 12-22, so we are running
    away.
    I am thinking of the days when we were first together and we had every other
    weekend with no kids as they were with their other parents (I have 2 from a
    first marriage, as does he).
    I think that if every marriage had every other weekend without kids, there
    would be no divorce. I am *not* saying that kids cause divorce!! So please
    don't flame me. What I am saying is that having that time that we were able
    to dedicate to our relationship as a couple, not just as parents, was so
    important to us. And now that the kids are mostly grown up (the 17 and 12
    year olds are his and live with mom about a mile away) we continue to do the
    kinds of things that we did when we were first together.
    My best friend is having her first child in February. I will be a proxy
    Nana to it, since the child has no bio grandparents and my best friend is 11
    years younger than I am. I am thinking that rather than going to pick out
    some cutesy outfit at Babies R Us, I will make up a booklet of gift
    certificates saying I will give them weekends off. They've already invited
    me to the delivery room and I will be staying with them after the birth for
    as long as they need/can stand me. Maybe the best gift I can give this child
    is a chance for his/her loving parents to stay that way.
    Just a thought.
    Off to pack.
    Momma

A thought

In article <[email protected]>, "Everyboysmomma"
    <[email protected]> writes:
    Hubby and I are taking off for the beach for a day and a half. We justspent 7 days in a lakeside cabin with 8 kids ages 12-22, so we are runningaway.I am thinking of the days when we were first together and we had every otherweekend with no kids as they were with their other parents (I have 2 from afirst marriage, as does he).I think that if every marriage had every other weekend without kids, therewould be no divorce. I am *not* saying that kids cause divorce!! So pleasedon't flame me. What I am saying is that having that time that we were ableto dedicate to our relationship as a couple, not just as parents, was soimportant to us. And now that the kids are mostly grown up (the 17 and 12year olds are his and live with mom about a mile away) we continue to do thekinds of things that we did when we were first together.My best friend is having her first child in February. I will be a proxyNana to it, since the child has no bio grandparents and my best friend is 11years younger than I am. I am thinking that rather than going to pick outsome cutesy outfit at Babies R Us, I will make up a booklet of giftcertificates saying I will give them weekends off. They've already invitedme to the delivery room and I will be staying with them after the birth foras long as they need/can stand me. Maybe the best gift I can give this childis a chance for his/her loving parents to stay that way.Just a thought.Off to pack.Momma
    What a wonderful idea! They're very lucky to have you in their lives.

Sunee
    ~ To let go is not to deny but to accept ~

Comment

A thought

"Everyboysmomma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected]
      Hubby and I are taking off for the beach for a day and a half. We just spent 7 days in a lakeside cabin with 8 kids ages 12-22, so we are running away. I am thinking of the days when we were first together and we had every
      other
      weekend with no kids as they were with their other parents (I have 2 from
      a
      first marriage, as does he). I think that if every marriage had every other weekend without kids, there would be no divorce. I am *not* saying that kids cause divorce!! So
      please
      don't flame me. What I am saying is that having that time that we were
      able
      to dedicate to our relationship as a couple, not just as parents, was so important to us. And now that the kids are mostly grown up (the 17 and 12 year olds are his and live with mom about a mile away) we continue to do
      the
      kinds of things that we did when we were first together. My best friend is having her first child in February. I will be a proxy Nana to it, since the child has no bio grandparents and my best friend is
      years younger than I am. I am thinking that rather than going to pick out some cutesy outfit at Babies R Us, I will make up a booklet of gift certificates saying I will give them weekends off. They've already
      invited
      me to the delivery room and I will be staying with them after the birth
      for
      as long as they need/can stand me. Maybe the best gift I can give this
      child
      is a chance for his/her loving parents to stay that way. Just a thought. Off to pack. Momma

DH and I are one of the few couples our age in our circle that are still on
      our first marriage (17 years, same spouse!) and have no ex-spouses or
      stepkids. While divorce isn't a pleasant thing and blended families can be
      difficult, it's hard not to feel a twinge of jealousy for those parents that
      can send their kids away to the other parents house for a weekend! My
      brother has two kids, ages 6 and 8, and recently remarried to a gal who has
      two kids also, ages 5 and 7! That sounds like a disaster, but when the kids
      all go to their other bio-parents houses, my brother and his wife have more
      free time than we.
      Enjoy being proxy Nana to the new arrival. 8-)

Comment

Working...
      X