X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Boys, height and high school

Caren wrote:
    I uploaded my favorite photo of my kids as wall-paper on the handset, too.
    )
    Tai (easily seduced by hardware) That sounds very cool Tai. I bought my phone a year ago and I'm stuck with it until Aug 5th of next year. I'm looking forward to the discounted upgrade I'll be getting :-) By next summer, who knows what features they'll have!!!
    Lol .. .this is right.

I'm always well behind the current technology because 1) I refuse to pay
    the cost for the newest features and 2) I don't want most of them - what on
    earth would I do with a camera phone, for example? Mind you, I'll probably
    end up with one if all the standard models have that feature eventually.

I do receive a certain amount of pressure about what I should get from my
    older kids because they get the old handsets to use. (The pre-paid bit is
    the attached to the sim card that goes in the phone rather than the phone
    itself.)

Tai

Comment

Jennifer wrote:

My sister's boys are 18 and nearly 16, and the older one drives and works and is off to college. She's never even considered getting him a cell phone. First, they don't want to spend the money. Second, it's not even a thought in their mind that it would be a Good Thing. I suppose it's reflexive parenting (we didn't need cell phones, therefore...), but it's something that works for us.
      Fair enough. I would have a huge problem with my kids using their phones
      frivolously but they know the phones are for their parents convenience and
      only indirectly for theirs.

The main reason our children were given theirs so early is that they travel
      to high school via public transport, either by bus (not a special school
      bus) or train. As they'd had a two minute walk to school up to grade 6 I
      felt a great deal more comfortable knowing they could easily contact me as
      Grade 7 11 and 12 year olds if they had any problems with getting to and
      from school. So, for us it was a safety issue first, before the convenience
      factor.
      I just learned about those recently. Those would be great to keep in the car and seems more of an updated safety device, as opposed to cell phones that kids take around with them.
      We've built up quite a collection of old phones so a $30 each recharge every
      6 months on two of them is all we have to kick in. Apparently I can get
      additional sim cards on my account for about $10 each a month so it might
      suit me to convert their phones to that kind when they are older.....
      especially as I'd then get an itemised list of all the calls they make.

Tai

Comment

"JWB" <[email protected] actually, my e-mail is jwb3333 at excite dot com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]> ...
        "Caren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
        "JWB" <[email protected] actually, my e-mail is jwb3333 at excite
        dot com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]> ...
        "bogart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] > Caren wrote: > > Lucky me then, I carry a purse :-) I need the phone, the checkbook, > > the keys, the cards, the sunglasses, the palm pilot. No pockets are > > large enough to carry what I need. > > This is quite a problem for me. As a male if I carry a purse it > may be misinterpreted. So now that men don't wear jackets with > pockets as they used to where do they carry all this stuff ? simple - no phone. No palm pilot. Who needs all that crap anyway.... No checkbook (use a debit card) - everything fits in wallet. Sunglasses either on forehead or on a string around neck keys in other pocket. I know to you it's all simple JWB. Some of us have different needs than you. 1. Cell phone: it's my business line and a way for my husband and daughter to always be in touch with me if need be. 2. Palm Pilot: when you have kids and a business and make appointments when you're out, you know that you have not just double booked yourself. 3. I use a checkbook not a debit card 4. I wear prescription glasses and must have both pairs with me or I can't see 5. I usually wear sweats or shorts that don't have pockets to hold the keys. See? I love my purse though.
        Yabbut, you're a girl. Girls need "stuff"
        Barf. People need stuff. You don't know any men that wear glasses,
        use a checkbook, carries a palm pilot and a cellphone? You are
        sheltered my dear boy!

Comment

"bogart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
          news:[email protected]
          I don't know how any divorced parents with kids ever managed without cellphones. Or even *any* parents with teenagers.
          ??? Well, you must have been a kid back then...why don't you ask your
          parents? :-)

Jennifer

Comment

"Joy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            Is it possible to survive? Of course. That isn't the question - the question is, do they make life enough better to justify the expense. For some they will, for some they won't. I don't understand why people always point out that people used to survive without X or Y as a reason for not doing something
            I think I react to the idea that it's not possible to raise a teenager
            without giving him/her a cell phone. :-) I'm pretty old-fashioned, which
            means that I'm sure I often reject technology that I should accept or would
            benefit from accepting. At the same time, I think I reject some things that
            truly are not beneficial for kids. Who knows, it's probably a wash in the
            end. I certainly understand why many people enjoy having cell phones for
            their children.

Jennifer

Comment

"_calinda_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
              I don't know what's so important that a kid has to call home, though. If there's a real emergency (e.g., injury, vehicle malfunction), I'm sure the adults in charge have some way to contact the parents. Well.. we've already agreed that our form of child rearing is vastly different. For whatever reason they need to call.. say, they have been invited to stay for dinner, or sleep over... or from Steve's house they want to go to Adam's house- they have to call. Particularly since Steve's house is in one town, but Adam's house might be three towns over. I don't allow them the freedom to be traveling all over creation mindlessly. If they say they are at Steve's.. they better be at Steve's, or they better call.
              Yup, I do that too. My kids, though, have to use Steve's landline. :-)
              I'm very on top of where my kids are at all times...as in, practically down
              to the second, lol...but I haven't had a problem with landlines so far.

I imagine my method could become a future in the (hopefully distant!) future
              if, for instance, families and friends stop using landlines at all. Right
              now, my kids will be at a neighbor's house, they'll call me if they want to
              go to another neighbor's house, and so on. If the next door neighbor's kid
              is over and wants to do something and needs permission, I tell him to call
              his parents.
              If a kid asks to make a long distance call just to talk to Mom or Dad, that is something where I would argue that the kid doesn't need to call Mom and Dad. Then my kids would never have been allowed at your house if they didn't have cells :-P
              ROFL! I imagine that's true. :-) All my kids' friends live nearby, so
              there's no issue with long distance. I meant that if I were the adult in
              charge on a field trip situation, I would discourage the kids from calling
              long distance to talk to the parents. At my house, I've never forbidden
              children to use the landline, and I also let them call whenever they like.
              :-) (To be fair, sometimes I'm dealing with a homesick 11-year-old at 3
              a.m. who wants to go home from a sleepover.)
              I would hate to have to listen to my kids complaining because one kid or another is on the phone.
              While I see that as an opportunity to teach the kids to be patient, wait
              their turn, share, etc. I actually *like* that they have to work out who
              gets the phone when. (I'm not saying your kids don't have all those
              skills!! :-D My kids need all the help they can get to learn how to
              share!)
              I also would never have allowed my son to call his girlfriend without the cell either, as she also lives four towns over.
              I guess that depends on your plans in general. We have an excellent long
              distance plan. I'd probably say call, pay some, I'll pay the rest, you
              know? It wouldn't, for me anyway, be the reason for me to get a cell phone.
              Or I could even say, use my cell if you want to call Betsy. :-)
              FWIW, I'm not that interested in limiting time, as long as everything else is done and the child isn't supposed to be going to bed or anything. I remember having hour-long conversations with my girlfriends, having pulled the cord into the mudroom, lol. :-) (OH, I should add, I've never had a cordless.) That would absolutely drive me insane. Seriously. I like to sit out back on the lawn swing and chat.
              Well, I do get that with my cell. :-)
              I would think you'd love a cordless.. add a baby monitor, and you'd be able to listen to all the conversations going on without having to pick up a handset since you said you like to eavesdrop.
              *snerk* ;-) Nothing goes on when they're sitting quietly in their rooms...
              :-D
              I don't know if you recall that I got a cell phone for them, kicking and screaming because of demands that my ex put upon me. I was furious and even now, wish I'd have taken him to court over this whole thing, because once he got his way over that one, he thought he could force other stuff that he had no business getting involved with. I *am* glad they have the phones, I wish it came about under different circumstances.
              I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I know you had to deal with a
              lot of crap!

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
              X