X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Boys, height and high school

Okay, here's the deal. DS is 14 years old. He's always been small (5th
    percentile for height throughout most of his life, although, I remember one
    point where he was on the 20th percentile line on the graph). He's a good kid,
    bright, polite, good sense of humor, but not at all athletic. At middle school
    he was thought very highly of by his teachers, and had a group of about 6 or 7
    boys that he hung out with, had lunch with, etc. They, like him, tended toward
    the computer-geek-type (gamers), although, according to his teachers, he was
    liked by most of the other kids. I saw this myself as we would walk to and
    from the school... other kids made it a point to say hi to him. He is a bit
    shy, but really does get his energy by being with others. I tease him that he
    is a contradiction --- a shy extrovert!

So, next year he goes to high school. He is very anxious about it, and more
    than one comment makes me think that his height is part of it. For instance, I
    said something today about our littlest dog thinking, "It's hard to be a little
    dog" and DS says, "Tell me about it. You don't have to tell me about the "l"
    word!" He's made jokes that someone might actually put him in a locker. He
    is, of course, also anxious that he might not have any classes with his
    friends.

Can I help? Being small can be a bonus for girls, but I'm sure it is a
    liability for boys. As his dad tells it, he was the shortest, skinniest kid in
    school until he was sixteen, when he "shot up" (all the way to 5'9"! ;-)).
    Any suggestions anyone can make about how to help him?

Sheila

OT: Boys, height and high school

I think that it would be beneficial if he enjoyed at least some
    aspects of his physique. So, maybe get him to become a strong young
    person, by lifting weights for example. If he can become interested,
    that would be excellent, and also good for his health. Just a thought.

i

Comment

I think that it would be beneficial if he enjoyed at least some
      aspects of his physique. So, maybe get him to become a strong young
      person, by lifting weights for example. If he can become interested,
      that would be excellent, and also good for his health. Just a thought.

i

Comment

>I think that it would be beneficial if he enjoyed at least some
        aspects of his physique. So, maybe get him to become a strong youngperson, by lifting weights for example. If he can become interested,that would be excellent, and also good for his health. Just a thought.i
        His dad drags him to the gym periodically. He hates it, but does it to please
        his dad.

Now, what he does like to do is fencing. He's even discovered a plus side of
        his height -- you are harder to hit! ;-)

Sheila

Comment

>I think that it would be beneficial if he enjoyed at least some
          aspects of his physique. So, maybe get him to become a strong youngperson, by lifting weights for example. If he can become interested,that would be excellent, and also good for his health. Just a thought.i
          His dad drags him to the gym periodically. He hates it, but does it to please
          his dad.

Now, what he does like to do is fencing. He's even discovered a plus side of

Sheila

Comment

Boys, height and high school

"WhansaMi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            news:[email protected]
            Okay, here's the deal. DS is 14 years old. He's always been small (5th percentile for height throughout most of his life, although, I remember
            one
            point where he was on the 20th percentile line on the graph). He's a good
            kid,
            bright, polite, good sense of humor, but not at all athletic. At middle
            school
            he was thought very highly of by his teachers, and had a group of about 6
            or 7
            boys that he hung out with, had lunch with, etc. They, like him, tended
            toward
            the computer-geek-type (gamers), although, according to his teachers, he
            was
            liked by most of the other kids. I saw this myself as we would walk to
            and
            from the school... other kids made it a point to say hi to him. He is a
            bit
            shy, but really does get his energy by being with others. I tease him
            that he
            is a contradiction --- a shy extrovert! So, next year he goes to high school. He is very anxious about it, and
            more
            than one comment makes me think that his height is part of it. For
            instance, I
            said something today about our littlest dog thinking, "It's hard to be a
            little
            dog" and DS says, "Tell me about it. You don't have to tell me about the
            "l"
            word!" He's made jokes that someone might actually put him in a locker.
            He
            is, of course, also anxious that he might not have any classes with his friends. Can I help? Being small can be a bonus for girls, but I'm sure it is a liability for boys. As his dad tells it, he was the shortest, skinniest
            kid in
            school until he was sixteen, when he "shot up" (all the way to 5'9"!
            ;-)).
            Any suggestions anyone can make about how to help him? Sheila
            How tall is he? truly noticeably shorter than most of the other kids in his
            class?
            I also have a 14-yr-old (well, he'll be 15 next month) . He happens to be 6
            feet tall though. I don't think he and his friends segregate each other
            according to height. Among the kids in his grade, there is a *huge*
            variation in height, weight , etc. If you're cool, you're cool.
            I'd not mention it or make an issue about his height. There isn't really
            much you can do about it anyway.

Comment

Okay, here's the deal. DS is 14 years old. He's always been small (5th percentile for height throughout most of his life, although, I remember
              one
              kid,
              school
              or 7
              toward
              was
              and
              bit
              that he
              is a contradiction --- a shy extrovert! So, next year he goes to high school. He is very anxious about it, and
              more
              instance, I
              little
              "l"
              He
              is, of course, also anxious that he might not have any classes with his friends. Can I help? Being small can be a bonus for girls, but I'm sure it is a liability for boys. As his dad tells it, he was the shortest, skinniest
              kid in
              ;-)).
              How tall is he? truly noticeably shorter than most of the other kids in his
              class?
              I also have a 14-yr-old (well, he'll be 15 next month) . He happens to be 6
              feet tall though. I don't think he and his friends segregate each other
              according to height. Among the kids in his grade, there is a *huge*
              variation in height, weight , etc. If you're cool, you're cool.
              I'd not mention it or make an issue about his height. There isn't really
              much you can do about it anyway.

Comment

>> Okay, here's the deal. DS is 14 years old. He's always been small (5th
                percentile for height throughout most of his life, although, I rememberone
                kid,
                school
                or 7
                toward
                was
                and
                bit
                that he
                more
                instance, I
                little
                "l"
                He
                kid in
                ;-)).
                How tall is he? truly noticeably shorter than most of the other kids in hisclass?I also have a 14-yr-old (well, he'll be 15 next month) . He happens to be 6feet tall though. I don't think he and his friends segregate each otheraccording to height. Among the kids in his grade, there is a *huge*variation in height, weight , etc. If you're cool, you're cool.I'd not mention it or make an issue about his height. There isn't reallymuch you can do about it anyway.
                He's about 5 feet, I think. There are probably only 5 or 6 kids in his grade
                that were shorter than him. We seem to grow 'em big in our neighborhood! I'm
                5'4 and a half, and almost all of them were much taller than me!

I don't think the issue is as much the other kids, at least the ones he know,
                as his view of himself.

Sheila

Comment

>> Okay, here's the deal. DS is 14 years old. He's always been small (5th
                  percentile for height throughout most of his life, although, I rememberone
                  kid,
                  school
                  or 7
                  toward
                  was
                  and
                  bit
                  that he
                  more
                  instance, I
                  little
                  "l"
                  He
                  kid in
                  ;-)).
                  How tall is he? truly noticeably shorter than most of the other kids in hisclass?I also have a 14-yr-old (well, he'll be 15 next month) . He happens to be 6feet tall though. I don't think he and his friends segregate each otheraccording to height. Among the kids in his grade, there is a *huge*variation in height, weight , etc. If you're cool, you're cool.I'd not mention it or make an issue about his height. There isn't reallymuch you can do about it anyway.
                  He's about 5 feet, I think. There are probably only 5 or 6 kids in his grade
                  that were shorter than him. We seem to grow 'em big in our neighborhood! I'm
                  5'4 and a half, and almost all of them were much taller than me!

I don't think the issue is as much the other kids, at least the ones he know,
                  as his view of himself.

Sheila

Comment

I think that it would be beneficial if he enjoyed at least someaspects of his physique. So, maybe get him to become a strong youngperson, by lifting weights for example. If he can become interested,that would be excellent, and also good for his health. Just a thought.i His dad drags him to the gym periodically. He hates it, but does it to
                    please
                    his dad. Now, what he does like to do is fencing. He's even discovered a plus side
                    of
                    Martial arts, perhaps? Very good confidence builder.

Comment

I think that it would be beneficial if he enjoyed at least someaspects of his physique. So, maybe get him to become a strong youngperson, by lifting weights for example. If he can become interested,that would be excellent, and also good for his health. Just a thought.i His dad drags him to the gym periodically. He hates it, but does it to
                      please
                      his dad. Now, what he does like to do is fencing. He's even discovered a plus side
                      of
                      Martial arts, perhaps? Very good confidence builder.

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, WhansaMi wrote:
                        I think that it would be beneficial if he enjoyed at least someaspects of his physique. So, maybe get him to become a strong youngperson, by lifting weights for example. If he can become interested,that would be excellent, and also good for his health. Just a thought.i His dad drags him to the gym periodically. He hates it, but does it to please his dad. Now, what he does like to do is fencing. He's even discovered a plus side of his height -- you are harder to hit! ;-) Sheila
                        Well, that's great if he likes it!

i

Comment

I think that it would be beneficial if he enjoyed at least someaspects of his physique. So, maybe get him to become a strong youngperson, by lifting weights for example. If he can become interested,that would be excellent, and also good for his health. Just a thought.i His dad drags him to the gym periodically. He hates it, but does it to please his dad. Now, what he does like to do is fencing. He's even discovered a plus side of his height -- you are harder to hit! ;-) Sheila
                          Well, that's great if he likes it!

i

Comment

"Ignoramus11472" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                            please
                            his dad. Now, what he does like to do is fencing. He's even discovered a plus
                            side of
                            his height -- you are harder to hit! ;-) Sheila Well, that's great if he likes it!
                            Is wrestling an option? He'd be competing in his own weight class, so his
                            size might be less a disadvantage. Maybe he'd enjoy it.

Comment

"Ignoramus11472" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                              please
                              his dad. Now, what he does like to do is fencing. He's even discovered a plus
                              side of
                              his height -- you are harder to hit! ;-) Sheila Well, that's great if he likes it!
                              Is wrestling an option? He'd be competing in his own weight class, so his
                              size might be less a disadvantage. Maybe he'd enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X