Clear All

• Another relationship movie

Kramer Vs. Kramer

Another relationship movie

"urf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Kramer Vs. Kramer
    ugh.... just an awful movie. Sickening.

True Romance - now *that's* a relationship movie.

JWB

Comment

"JWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected] .
      "urf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
      Kramer Vs. Kramer
      ugh.... just an awful movie. Sickening. True Romance - now *that's* a relationship movie. JWB
      It did have a happy ending.

Comment

"urf" <[email protected]> writes:
        Kramer Vs. Kramer
        I thought of that one too; though maybe it is a bit of a downer for a
        couple who are trying to become closer. A great movie, very
        insightful about relationships, with fantastic acting.

Comment

"JWB" <[email protected]> writes:
          Kramer Vs. Kramer
          Well, I don't know why you hated the movie. But it speaks volumes
          about the way people take each other for granted, about how
          relationships can go off course, and about how crises can be
          opportunities for growth.

Comment

"Doug Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            news:[email protected]_s52...
            Kramer Vs. Kramer
            Well, I don't know why you hated the movie. But it speaks volumes about the way people take each other for granted, about how relationships can go off course, and about how crises can be opportunities for growth.
            Well, I'm not a parent, so I find it hard to relate to.

I did find the boss' resentment over the fathers missed time at work
            interesting.

Comment

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:52:30 GMT, "JWB" <[email protected]>
              wrote:
              "Doug Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]_s52...
              "urf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] > Kramer Vs. Kramer ugh.... just an awful movie. Sickening.
              Well, I don't know why you hated the movie. But it speaks volumes about the way people take each other for granted, about how relationships can go off course, and about how crises can be opportunities for growth.
              Well, I'm not a parent, so I find it hard to relate to.I did find the boss' resentment over the fathers missed time at workinteresting.
              I recently saw Love Actually and.... actually liked it. Well, I liked
              some of it anyway.

--Brian

Comment

urf <[email protected]> wrote:
                Kramer Vs. Kramer
                The only marriage movie I have been able to think of is "A Beautiful
                Mind." Most movies end when the marriage begins, or else they are about
                marriages breaking up. No one wants to show us functioning marriages.

Comment

Emma Anne wrote:
                  The only marriage movie I have been able to think of is "A Beautiful Mind." Most movies end when the marriage begins, or else they are about marriages breaking up. No one wants to show us functioning marriages.
                  And in real life the woman LEFT the sick *******.

Wendy

Comment

[email protected] (Emma Anne) writes:
                    Kramer Vs. Kramer
                    The only marriage movie I have been able to think of is "A Beautiful Mind." Most movies end when the marriage begins, or else they are about marriages breaking up. No one wants to show us functioning marriages.
                    That was one of the good things about "In the bedroom." Of course a
                    _functioning_ marriage isn't much of a story by itself, so if a movie
                    shows you a functioning marriage, it is usually incidental.

Comment

[email protected] (Emma Anne) wrote:
                      Kramer Vs. Kramer
                      The only marriage movie I have been able to think of is "A BeautifulMind." Most movies end when the marriage begins, or else they are aboutmarriages breaking up. No one wants to show us functioning marriages.
                      "Mr. Mom" was all about a healthy marriage. Each of them had to
                      change circumstances but the marriage survived just fine.

Comment

Doug Anderson wrote:
                        Kramer Vs. Kramer
                        That was one of the good things about "In the bedroom." Of course a _functioning_ marriage isn't much of a story by itself, so if a movie shows you a functioning marriage, it is usually incidental.
                        In The Bedroom? Was that the one done in Maine? Yeah, that was *really*
                        gripping, and it sure seemed REAL enough. (I think we're talking about the
                        same movie(?)

Comment

Wendy <[email protected]> wrote:
                          Emma Anne wrote:
                          And in real life the woman LEFT the sick *******.
                          They got back together, though, after he got saner. Probably a much
                          healthier example. . .

Comment

Doug Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
                            Kramer Vs. Kramer
                            That was one of the good things about "In the bedroom." Of course a _functioning_ marriage isn't much of a story by itself, so if a movie shows you a functioning marriage, it is usually incidental.
                            I wonder if that is really true, though (that a functioning marriage
                            isn't intrinsically interesting). You'd have to show a marriage
                            functioning in some kind of interesting situation, obviously, but there
                            aren't many of those, even.

Comment

Doug Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
                              urf <[email protected]> wrote: > Kramer Vs. Kramer The only marriage movie I have been able to think of is "A Beautiful Mind." Most movies end when the marriage begins, or else they are about marriages breaking up. No one wants to show us functioning marriages.
                              I wonder if that is really true, though (that a functioning marriage isn't intrinsically interesting).
                              I think a functioning marriage _is_ intrinsically interesting. It
                              just isn't very dramatic, so it doesn't provide much opportunity to
                              wrap a movie or story around it. If there is a functioning marriage
                              in a movie, it won't be the subject of the movie, but will be
                              incidental.

It's the old Tolstoy dictum about happy marriages and unhappy ones.
                              You'd have to show a marriage functioning in some kind of interesting situation, obviously, but there aren't many of those, even.
                              Right. It's like the question "why are there so many TV shows about
                              cops and so few about, say, social security bureacrats."

Comment

Working...
                              X