didn't want to be a mother and that feeling has remained throughout
      the years. I just turned 37 and I still feel that way--no biological
      clock ticking for me!

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:00:21 GMT, "urf" <[email protected]> wrote:

Comment

A woman speaks on a life spent without children - interesting reading

"Kim/Dreamspinner3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected]
        Interesting article...but I can't see myself regretting my decision not to have any children when I turn 60. I knew at a very young age I didn't want to be a mother and that feeling has remained throughout the years. I just turned 37 and I still feel that way--no biological clock ticking for me!
        I feel the same way. I have plenty of nieces and nephews, and I have the
        freedom that not having kids gives me.

I'm not knocking kids (never do). I'm sure kids are fine, especially once
        they get older, but I dunno - I'm not so sure it's worth going through what
        I see many parents go through.

Just my observation: for every happy family I know, I would guess I know
        three not-so-happy ones. Where the parents just plod from day to day,
        working jobs they'd rather not work but can't afford to quit, having no time
        or energy for fun with each other, doing the "daycare shuffle", never doing
        "adult" things, worrying about credit card bills and which parent has enough
        sick days left to miss work in a snowstorm when schools are closed...Ugh.
        Not the life for me.

Comment

"whisper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
          Interesting article... it does make a person think
          Yes. Did you notice how the woman stopped herself from wallowing in self
          pity? She switched from focussing on what she didn't have to focussing on
          what she did have. A wise move, in my book.

Amy

Comment

It is much better to be old with a bunch of children and grandchildren
            taking interest in you, than to be old alone.

Children are a pain, but they also are the most faithful friends for
            life.

i

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, JWB wrote:
              "Kim/Dreamspinner3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
              Interesting article...but I can't see myself regretting my decision not to have any children when I turn 60. I knew at a very young age I didn't want to be a mother and that feeling has remained throughout the years. I just turned 37 and I still feel that way--no biological clock ticking for me!
              I feel the same way. I have plenty of nieces and nephews, and I have the freedom that not having kids gives me. I'm not knocking kids (never do). I'm sure kids are fine, especially once they get older, but I dunno - I'm not so sure it's worth going through what I see many parents go through. Just my observation: for every happy family I know, I would guess I know three not-so-happy ones. Where the parents just plod from day to day, working jobs they'd rather not work but can't afford to quit, having no time or energy for fun with each other, doing the "daycare shuffle", never doing "adult" things, worrying about credit card bills and which parent has enough sick days left to miss work in a snowstorm when schools are closed...Ugh. Not the life for me.
              On the other hand, I have a smart and faithful friend at home, who is
              very happy to see me every day, and who agrees to play with me on any
              day as well. I can talk to him and discuss various stuff etc.

Kids are a hassle sometimes, granted, but at other times they are
              great companions. Young ones are not much worse than older kids,
              actually.

I definitely do miss the free time. Just last weekend, I savored a free
              day when the kid was at grandparents. I went to a gun range and had a
              great day. But, on the other hand, I never feel lonely with a 2.5 year
              old in the house.

i

Comment

But there is no guarantee that the children a person has will be there for
                them when they get old. My mother works in a nursing home and has for quite
                sometime and she's seen so many people there spend day after day all alone,
                their kids and/or grandkids never spending time with them. Plus I feel
                having children just so that you have someone to take care of you in your
                old age is not a good reason to have children.

"Ignoramus32131" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                It is much better to be old with a bunch of children and grandchildren taking interest in you, than to be old alone.

Comment

I have a perspective on the subject that comes with age.

I barely remember life before children, but I did have one.
                  Then I had a life with babies, toddlers, children, adolescents, teens
                  and college age live aways. Now I have grandchildren and adult
                  offspring. Now is the best of times. I wouldn't have these times,
                  at least in this way, if I had not gone through the other times, not
                  that they were bad at all.

Looking back, I would not change a thing.

"JWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                  "Kim/Dreamspinner3" <dre[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                  I feel the same way. I have plenty of nieces and nephews, and I have the freedom that not having kids gives me. I'm not knocking kids (never do). I'm sure kids are fine, especially once they get older, but I dunno - I'm not so sure it's worth going through
                  what
                  I see many parents go through. Just my observation: for every happy family I know, I would guess I know three not-so-happy ones. Where the parents just plod from day to day, working jobs they'd rather not work but can't afford to quit, having no
                  time
                  or energy for fun with each other, doing the "daycare shuffle", never
                  doing
                  "adult" things, worrying about credit card bills and which parent has
                  enough
                  sick days left to miss work in a snowstorm when schools are closed...Ugh. Not the life for me.

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, Dreamspinner3 wrote:
                    But there is no guarantee that the children a person has will be there for them when they get old.
                    Agreed.

But if you do not have children and grandchildren, there is a
                    guarantee that they won;t be there when you get old.
                    My mother works in a nursing home and has for quite sometime and she's seen so many people there spend day after day all alone, their kids and/or grandkids never spending time with them. Plus I feel having children just so that you have someone to take care of you in your old age is not a good reason to have children.
                    Again, I agree with you here.

i
                    "Ignoramus32131" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                    It is much better to be old with a bunch of children and grandchildren taking interest in you, than to be old alone.

Comment

On 12 Nov 2003 13:57:44 GMT,
                      Ignoramus32131 <[email protected]> wrote:
                      It is much better to be old with a bunch of children and grandchildren taking interest in you, than to be old alone. Children are a pain, but they also are the most faithful friends for life.
                      Tell that to Mr. and Mrs. Menendez

-Tony

--
                      "If the grass appears to be greener on the other side of the fence, it's time
                      to fertilize your lawn!"
                      Want to jump start your marriage? Consider a Marriage Encounter weekend.
                      Check out http://www.wwme.org for more information.

Comment

"Dreamspinner3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                        | But there is no guarantee that the children a person has will be there for
                        | them when they get old. My mother works in a nursing home and has for
                        quite
                        | sometime and she's seen so many people there spend day after day all
                        alone,
                        | their kids and/or grandkids never spending time with them.

You reep what you sow I think, and from my experience those who have been
                        terribly loney during old age have been loney people all thier lives; kids
                        or no kids.

Plus I feel
                        | having children just so that you have someone to take care of you in your
                        | old age is not a good reason to have children.

I agree, but I don't think many of us have children for that reason. Last
                        week an elderly friend of the family passed away from cancer in her home and
                        I was so in awe at how all the children, grand children, great grand
                        children and long time friends had gathered day after day to be with her
                        until she passed; people were flying in from overseas to say goodbye to this
                        beautiful woman. And I found myself thinking how wonderful for her to have
                        this huge family who wanted to sit with her day after day, reading to her,
                        talking and so on, and then I thought of my own grandmother who has maybe
                        one grandkid visit her a year and I don't ever call her or see her even
                        though she's just down the road. I wonder if she ever ponders why no one
                        wants to visit her. She's reeping nothing as far as I can tell...

Having a great family to cares for you when you are old is a bonus and not
                        something expected. It's those who do have children for that reason who get
                        sorely disapointed in the end if you know what I mean?

|
                        | "Ignoramus32131" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                        | news:[email protected]
                        |
                        | > It is much better to be old with a bunch of children and grandchildren
                        | > taking interest in you, than to be old alone.
                        |
                        |

Comment

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:12:22 GMT, "urf" <[email protected]> wrote:
                          I have a perspective on the subject that comes with age.I barely remember life before children, but I did have one.Then I had a life with babies, toddlers, children, adolescents, teensand college age live aways. Now I have grandchildren and adultoffspring. Now is the best of times. I wouldn't have these times,at least in this way, if I had not gone through the other times, notthat they were bad at all.Looking back, I would not change a thing.
                          Just keep telling yourself that, funboy!
                          "JWB" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected] .com...
                          "Kim/Dreamspinner3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                          I feel the same way. I have plenty of nieces and nephews, and I have the freedom that not having kids gives me. I'm not knocking kids (never do). I'm sure kids are fine, especially once they get older, but I dunno - I'm not so sure it's worth going through
                          what
                          I see many parents go through. Just my observation: for every happy family I know, I would guess I know three not-so-happy ones. Where the parents just plod from day to day, working jobs they'd rather not work but can't afford to quit, having no
                          time
                          or energy for fun with each other, doing the "daycare shuffle", never
                          doing
                          "adult" things, worrying about credit card bills and which parent has
                          enough
                          sick days left to miss work in a snowstorm when schools are closed...Ugh. Not the life for me.

Comment

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:26:03 GMT, Kim/Dreamspinner3
                            <[email protected]> wrote:
                            Interesting article...but I can't see myself regretting my decisionnot to have any children when I turn 60. I knew at a very young age Ididn't want to be a mother and that feeling has remained throughoutthe years. I just turned 37 and I still feel that way--no biologicalclock ticking for me!
                            I know EXACTLY how you feel!

--

Whenever you face a difficult decision and are unsure how to proceed,
                            stop and ask yourself - What Would Kendricks Do?

Comment

"Dreamspinner3" <[email protected]> writes:
                              But there is no guarantee that the children a person has will be there for them when they get old. My mother works in a nursing home and has for quite sometime and she's seen so many people there spend day after day all alone, their kids and/or grandkids never spending time with them.
                              Life has no guarantees.
                              Plus I feel having children just so that you have someone to take care of you in your old age is not a good reason to have children.
                              That's true. It is a bad reason. A good reason is that it is a joy
                              to share their lives when they are young, and there is _some_ chance
                              that the joy gets to continue as everyone gets older.

Comment

Working...
                              X