Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES


    What do you mean they removed water at gas stations? All of them have
    toilets with running water. Get your water there and fill the radiator
    (and get burned!) And we have plenty of summer camps around here. We
    have, however, some 1950 vintage individuals who lost their grip on
    reality.

    i


    In article <[email protected] link.net>, Bill wrote:
    I'm curious what you guys think about this. I posted this in the other group, but would appreciate your feedback. Tell me if I'm missing the boat, or correct me if am wrong... Bill wrote:
    BTW, did you ever notice how hard it is to find water for your car radiator
    in
    a gas station these days? You want to know why? This one is right up
    your
    alley, Rog. You're not going to like the answer.... OK, since nobody guessed it: It is due to the gas station owner's fear of an "innocent victim" lawsuit against them, over a customer (possibly) getting burned by hot water when
    they
    remove their radiator cap. You know, the same thing is true for the summer youth camps, over the past
    four
    decades. Many, if not most of them, have gone out of business, cause they can't afford the liability insurance if Johnny stubs his toe and his parents sue. After all, it wasn't Johnny's fault!! It was your fault, you irresponsible camp owner! You should have removed ALL rocks and trees so my Johnny couldn't trip! Don't work it out, just sue it out, and get yours! Get it while you can, while the gettin's good. The legal profession will help you in your quest. Who cares about the rest of the world? Not too many, anymore. Sad, really sad. I really feel sorry for our kids.
    And this is NOT social progress - I wish some would take off their blinders, and see the reality of it. How can I change my world view with stuff like this going on today? The only way would be to just look the other way..... /rant

  • #2
    OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES

    in article [email protected] k.net, Bill at
    [email protected] wrote on 8/4/03 10:00 AM:
    Ignoramus23445 wrote:
    What do you mean they removed water at gas stations? All of them have toilets with running water. Get your water there and fill the radiator (and get burned!) And we have plenty of summer camps around here. We have, however, some 1950 vintage individuals who lost their grip on reality.
    Pot calling the kettle. Hows that farm thing going, Igor?
    A few chickens doesn't constitute a farm. A couple of chickens, even if
    you're eating the eggs, are pets, not much more unconventional than pidgeons
    or Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Pigs.

    And for Igor - there's a magazine I subscribe to called "Countryside". It's
    a US magazine, and while a lot of it wouldn't be appropriate for suburban
    living (it's pretty hardcore back-to-the-land), you might find it
    entertaining. It would have mail order sources for chickens, at any rate.

    M.

    Comment


    • #3
      OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES

      In article <[email protected] nk.net>, Bill wrote:
      Ignoramus23445 wrote:
      What do you mean they removed water at gas stations? All of them have toilets with running water. Get your water there and fill the radiator (and get burned!) And we have plenty of summer camps around here. We have, however, some 1950 vintage individuals who lost their grip on reality.
      Pot calling the kettle. Hows that farm thing going, Igor?
      Do you acknowledge that you were incorrect in making claims about
      summer camps and availability of water at gas stations?

      i

      Comment


      • #4
        OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES

        "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
        Ignoramus23445 wrote:
        In article <[email protected] nk.net>, Bill wrote:
        Ignoramus23445 wrote:> What do you mean they removed water at gas stations? All of them have> toilets with running water. Get your water there and fill the radiator> (and get burned!) And we have plenty of summer camps around here. We> have, however, some 1950 vintage individuals who lost their grip on> reality. Pot calling the kettle. Hows that farm thing going, Igor?
        Do you acknowledge that you were incorrect in making claims about summer camps and availability of water at gas stations?
        No, I do not. I didn't say they don't exist anymore. Try reading it again. But there has been a MAJOR decline in BOTH,
        Unless you can show me that there aren't enough camps for the kids who
        want to to go, how would you justify your claim that the supposed
        MAJOR decline in summer camps is due to costs of liability protection?


        Comment


        • #5
          OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES

          "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
          I didn't say ONLY due to the costs of liability protection.
          Didn't you say exactly:
          You know, the same thing is true for the summer youth camps, over the past four
          decades. Many, if not most of them, have gone out of business, cause they can't afford the liability insurance if Johnny stubs his toe and his parents sue.
          You then proceeded to rail at the legal profession. So if you didn't
          mean "because of" when you said "cause" it sure looked like it.

          Because I've talked to some people about it, that's why - people who are, and/or have been, *involved* in that arena. I've made it a point to. But Bill, as a parent I know that I have no trouble finding summer camps for my kids. So this means that _if_ there are fewer it is because there is less demand. (Otherwise there would be a shortage of spaces, which there isn't.) So _maybe_ there are fewer, or maybe summer camp in backwoods Maine is just less popular than it used to be,
          That part is (unfortunately) quite true, Doug. Good call. And it saddens me.
          It's OK for you to be sad about it if you want. What doesn't make
          sense is blaming your sadness on lawyers.

          I miss glass soft-drink bottles. But I don't blame that on the lawyers.
          BTW, did you ever see the film Indian Summer? (If you were once a young camper, you'd really appreciate it).
          Never saw it. Movielens predicts I'd give it 3 stars.

          Comment


          • #6
            OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES

            Doug Anderson wrote:
            "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
            I didn't say ONLY due to the costs of liability protection.
            Didn't you say exactly:
            You know, the same thing is true for the summer youth camps, over the past four decades. Many, if not most of them, have gone out of business, cause they can't afford the liability insurance if Johnny stubs his toe and his parents sue.
            You then proceeded to rail at the legal profession. So if you didn't mean "because of" when you said "cause" it sure looked like it.
            Well, you're right - if I reread what I wrote, it *sure* sounds like it was the
            only reason they went out business - which isn't true, of course.
            > Because I've talked to some people about it, that's why - people who are,> and/or have been, *involved* in that arena. I've made it a point to. But Bill, as a parent I know that I have no trouble finding summer camps for my kids. So this means that _if_ there are fewer it is because there is less demand. (Otherwise there would be a shortage of spaces, which there isn't.) So _maybe_ there are fewer, or maybe summer camp in backwoods Maine is just less popular than it used to be,
            That part is (unfortunately) quite true, Doug. Good call. And it saddens me. It's OK for you to be sad about it if you want. What doesn't make sense is blaming your sadness on lawyers. I miss glass soft-drink bottles. But I don't blame that on the lawyers.
            I'm just curious Doug. Do you blame ANYTHING on lawyers, and the increase in
            litigation for (almost anything) these days, or are you in denial of that?

            Like...the increase in medical premiums is significantly due to the increased
            costs of malpractice insurance, which, in turn, has driven many doctors out of
            business, and has raised the rates of affordable(?) heath care for all of the
            rest of us. Are you going to deny that too?


            Comment


            • #7
              OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES

              "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
              I'm just curious Doug. Do you blame ANYTHING on lawyers, and the increase in litigation for (almost anything) these days, or are you in denial of that?
              Why do you feel compelled to ask a question phrased in a way so that
              my choices are "agree" or "be in denial?"

              I agree that there is too much litigation. Primarily I blame state
              and federal legislatures for refusing to consider serious tort
              reforem.

              Comment


              • #8
                OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES

                Tracey wrote:
                Why do you feel compelled to ask a question phrasedin a way so that my choices are "agree" or "be indenial?" Why, because that's the way it is, Doug, didn't you know that? Tracey
                Doug - I don't know why. Don't ask me to analyze myself. I might self
                destruct.
                Tracey.....why don't ya go listen to Brand New Key, and get back to me. :-)


                Comment


                • #9
                  OT - Am I missing something? YES YES YES

                  In article <[email protected] nk.net>, Bill wrote:
                  Doug Anderson wrote:
                  "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
                  Ignoramus23445 wrote:> In article <[email protected] nk.net>, Bill> wrote:>> Ignoramus23445 wrote:>>> What do you mean they removed water at gas stations? All of them have>>> toilets with running water. Get your water there and fill the radiator>>> (and get burned!) And we have plenty of summer camps around here. We>>> have, however, some 1950 vintage individuals who lost their grip on>>> reality.>>>> Pot calling the kettle. Hows that farm thing going, Igor?>> Do you acknowledge that you were incorrect in making claims about> summer camps and availability of water at gas stations? No, I do not. I didn't say they don't exist anymore. Try reading it
                  again.
                  But there has been a MAJOR decline in BOTH,
                  What??? A MAJOR decline in availability of water at gas stations?
                  Almost every gas station has running water in the restroom!!!

                  i
                  Unless you can show me that there aren't enough camps for the kids who want to to go, how would you justify your claim that the supposed MAJOR decline in summer camps is due to costs of liability protection? Because I've talked to some people about it, that's why - people who are, and/or have been, *involved* in that arena. I've made it a point to. Even things like river rafting (some places won't rent you your own raft, for fear of liability if you get hurt - you *have* to go on a "guided" tour). Or even having a parent drive a van full of girls to a summer girl scout camp... and the liability crap that precludes it (in some cases). It's all a bunch of this new age legal liability bull****. What *really* gets me, is that the kids are getting short end of the stick. Why the interest? Probably because I spent a fair amount of time in summer camps as a kid, going back to the late 50's and early 60's. And then later on I did some activities with youth - like working at a Boys Club, and also with the Girl Scouts. (It's a long story....)

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X