X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT - Am I missing something?

Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
    What I meant was - I can't just "up and quit" taking them - so to me, that's an addiction. And I'm not just talking about the withdrawal symptoms - I mean the long term effects too.
    Well, if you are like the character in Alice in Wonderland, and can
    define words to mean whatever you want them to mean, yes. Otherwise no
    - that's not what addiction is. You need withdrawal, cravings, and
    tolerance. Just withdrawal doesn't qualify.

Comment

Emma Anne wrote:
      What I meant was - I can't just "up and quit" taking them - so to me, that's an addiction. And I'm not just talking about the withdrawal symptoms - I mean the long term effects too.
      Well, if you are like the character in Alice in Wonderland, and can define words to mean whatever you want them to mean, yes. Otherwise no - that's not what addiction is. You need withdrawal, cravings, and tolerance. Just withdrawal doesn't qualify.
      I wasn't trying to be catty. I thought that was an addiction. Doesn't
      addiction simply mean "needing them", or there will be some dire consequences?

I guess you're looking at it from a more medical standpoint - meaning
      withdrawal symptoms, like shaking, or seizures, and cravings for not having it,
      etc - like heroin, I guess. So I guess my view of the word "addiction" was
      less restrictive - but maybe I'm using the work inappropriately, then, as I
      guess you've said.

Alice in Wonderland, huh? Gee, thanks.... :-)

Comment

Emma Anne wrote:
        Well, if you are like the character in Alice in Wonderland, and can define words to mean whatever you want them to mean, yes. Otherwise no - that's not what addiction is. You need withdrawal, cravings, and tolerance. Just withdrawal doesn't qualify.
        I wasn't trying to be catty. I thought that was an addiction. Doesn't addiction simply mean "needing them", or there will be some dire consequences?
        No, that's dependence. You need air, too, after all.
        I guess you're looking at it from a more medical standpoint - meaning withdrawal symptoms, like shaking, or seizures, and cravings for not having it, etc - like heroin, I guess. So I guess my view of the word "addiction" was less restrictive - but maybe I'm using the work inappropriately, then, as I guess you've said.
        I think the distinction is important. I have been addicted (only to
        cigarettes, luckily) and I never want that to happen to me again.
        Alice in Wonderland, huh? Gee, thanks.... :-)
        It's a really good book, though! :-)

Comment

Working...
        X