Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Am I missing something?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT - Am I missing something?

    I'm curious what you guys think about this. I posted this in the other group,
    but would appreciate your feedback. Tell me if I'm missing the boat, or
    correct me if am wrong...

    Bill wrote:
    BTW, did you ever notice how hard it is to find water for your car radiator
    in
    a gas station these days? You want to know why? This one is right up
    your
    alley, Rog. You're not going to like the answer.... OK, since nobody guessed it: It is due to the gas station owner's fear of an "innocent victim" lawsuit against them, over a customer (possibly) getting burned by hot water when
    they
    remove their radiator cap. You know, the same thing is true for the summer youth camps, over the past
    four
    decades. Many, if not most of them, have gone out of business, cause they can't afford the liability insurance if Johnny stubs his toe and his parents sue. After all, it wasn't Johnny's fault!! It was your fault, you irresponsible camp owner! You should have removed ALL rocks and trees so my Johnny couldn't trip! Don't work it out, just sue it out, and get yours! Get it while you can, while the gettin's good. The legal profession will help you in your quest. Who cares about the rest of the world? Not too many, anymore. Sad, really sad. I really feel sorry for our kids.
    And this is NOT social progress - I wish some would take off their blinders,
    and see the reality of it. How can I change my world view with stuff like
    this going on today? The only way would be to just look the other way.....

    /rant



  • #2
    OT - Am I missing something?

    Bill wrote:
    I'm curious what you guys think about this. I posted this in the other group, but would appreciate your feedback. Tell me if I'm missing the boat, or correct me if am wrong... Bill wrote:
    BTW, did you ever notice how hard it is to find water for your car radiator in a gas station these days? You want to know why? This one is right up your alley, Rog. You're not going to like the answer.... OK, since nobody guessed it: It is due to the gas station owner's fear of an "innocent victim" lawsuit against them, over a customer (possibly) getting burned by hot water when they remove their radiator cap.
    But I *can* put water in my radiator in a petrol station. In fact, if it's
    an increasingly hard-to-find service station (someone manning the pumps
    rather than me having to get out of the car to do it myself) they'll do even
    it for me.

    Mind you, our cars don't usually need to have their radiators topped up
    between oil-change services anyway, even though one of them is 12 years old.

    So I can't help you with this, Bill. lol

    Tai



    Comment


    • #3
      OT - Am I missing something?

      What a load of crap. Pretty much every gas station I go to has air
      and water, fre for customers, or 50 cents for non customers (even
      though if you go in and ask for a token, tehy always give you one.

      Someone has been blowing smoke up Bill's gullible *** again.

      On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 22:32:05 GMT, "Bill" <[email protected]>
      wrote:
      I'm curious what you guys think about this. I posted this in the other group,but would appreciate your feedback. Tell me if I'm missing the boat, orcorrect me if am wrong...Bill wrote:
      BTW, did you ever notice how hard it is to find water for your car radiator
      in
      a gas station these days? You want to know why? This one is right up
      your
      alley, Rog. You're not going to like the answer.... OK, since nobody guessed it: It is due to the gas station owner's fear of an "innocent victim" lawsuit against them, over a customer (possibly) getting burned by hot water when
      they
      remove their radiator cap. You know, the same thing is true for the summer youth camps, over the past
      four
      decades. Many, if not most of them, have gone out of business, cause they can't afford the liability insurance if Johnny stubs his toe and his parents sue. After all, it wasn't Johnny's fault!! It was your fault, you irresponsible camp owner! You should have removed ALL rocks and trees so my Johnny couldn't trip! Don't work it out, just sue it out, and get yours! Get it while you can, while the gettin's good. The legal profession will help you in your quest. Who cares about the rest of the world? Not too many, anymore. Sad, really sad. I really feel sorry for our kids.
      And this is NOT social progress - I wish some would take off their blinders,and see the reality of it. How can I change my world view with stuff likethis going on today? The only way would be to just look the other way...../rant

      Comment


      • #4
        OT - Am I missing something?


        "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected] arthlink.net...
        And this is NOT social progress - I wish some would take off their
        blinders,
        and see the reality of it. How can I change my world view with stuff
        like
        this going on today? The only way would be to just look the other
        way.....

        I disagree with that last sentence. Looking the other way won't do it - but
        paying more attention the GOOD changes would make a difference. Your
        problem seems to be that you only focus on the negative, and don't even see
        the positives - which, as people keep pointing out, do exist. You seem to
        feel that the negatives in the world outweigh all the positives - but that
        could be because that is where your attention lies. Others seem to feel
        that the positives outweigh the negatives...



        Comment


        • #5
          OT - Am I missing something?

          fairly_happy wrote:
          "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] arthlink.net...
          And this is NOT social progress - I wish some would take off their blinders, and see the reality of it. How can I change my world view with stuff like this going on today? The only way would be to just look the other way.....
          I disagree with that last sentence. Looking the other way won't do it - but paying more attention the GOOD changes would make a difference. Your problem seems to be that you only focus on the negative, and don't even see the positives - which, as people keep pointing out, do exist. You seem to feel that the negatives in the world outweigh all the positives - but that could be because that is where your attention lies. Others seem to feel that the positives outweigh the negatives...
          But SB, I'm NOT talking about technological advances. I'm talking about
          *societal* changes, most for the worse - well, ok, with two notable exceptions:
          there is much more awareness of, and lack of tolerance for, discrimination and
          abuse, nowadays. And THAT part is great.

          As for the two parent family structure, well, we've already been down that
          path... And suing, instead of working things out... And slipping in
          education... A HS diploma doesn't mean what it used to, in many, many cases
          that I have seen and read about. Of course, I've spent a fair chunk of my time
          in some heavily Hispanic communities, where education still is such a tough
          sell. (If you've "been there", you know what I am talking about).

          If THAT isn't fundamentally important, in fact, the most important stuff, I
          don't know what is. And in those areas, we are slipping badly.


          Comment


          • #6
            OT - Am I missing something?


            "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            news:[email protected] arthlink.net...
            fairly_happy wrote:
            "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] arthlink.net... I disagree with that last sentence. Looking the other way won't do it -
            but
            paying more attention the GOOD changes would make a difference. Your problem seems to be that you only focus on the negative, and don't even
            see
            the positives - which, as people keep pointing out, do exist. You seem
            to
            feel that the negatives in the world outweigh all the positives - but
            that
            could be because that is where your attention lies. Others seem to feel that the positives outweigh the negatives... But SB, I'm NOT talking about technological advances.
            I'm not talking about technological advances either.

            I'm talking about
            *societal* changes, most for the worse - well, ok, with two notable
            exceptions:
            there is much more awareness of, and lack of tolerance for, discrimination
            and
            abuse, nowadays. And THAT part is great.
            IMHO, those two outweigh all the other things that you complain about.
            As for the two parent family structure, well, we've already been down that path...
            You know all those two parent families back in the 50s? A lot of them
            shouldn't have been two parent families. All those families where abuse was
            hushed up? They really should have divorced. For a lot of families,
            staying together was bad. I believe Inky explained that one to you.

            Well, if you consider that some of those families back then really should
            have broken up, then the increase in divorce rates doesn't seem quite as
            bad. Maybe the divorce rate should have been higher all along....certainly
            abused spouses and children should have been able to get out.
            And suing, instead of working things out...
            This one is mixed, to me - not clearly bad the way it is to you. Yes, there
            are frivolous lawsuits. On the other hand, folks have more opportunity for
            legal redress when mistreated or cheated nowadays. I'd call it about a
            wash.

            And slipping in
            education... A HS diploma doesn't mean what it used to, in many, many
            cases
            that I have seen and read about. Of course, I've spent a fair chunk of my
            time
            in some heavily Hispanic communities, where education still is such a
            tough
            sell. (If you've "been there", you know what I am talking about).
            I wonder if you'd feel the same if you had spent more time in Asian
            communities?
            If THAT isn't fundamentally important, in fact, the most important stuff,
            I
            don't know what is. And in those areas, we are slipping badly.
            Actually, I think the discrimination and abuse stuff is the most important.

            YMMV


            Comment


            • #7
              OT - Am I missing something?

              fairly_happy wrote:
              "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] arthlink.net...
              fairly_happy wrote:
              "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] arthlink.net... I disagree with that last sentence. Looking the other way won't do it -
              but
              paying more attention the GOOD changes would make a difference. Your problem seems to be that you only focus on the negative, and don't even see the positives - which, as people keep pointing out, do exist. You seem to feel that the negatives in the world outweigh all the positives - but that could be because that is where your attention lies. Others seem to feel that the positives outweigh the negatives... But SB, I'm NOT talking about technological advances. I'm not talking about technological advances either. I'm talking about
              *societal* changes, most for the worse - well, ok, with two notable
              exceptions:
              there is much more awareness of, and lack of tolerance for, discrimination
              and
              abuse, nowadays. And THAT part is great. IMHO, those two outweigh all the other things that you complain about.
              As for the two parent family structure, well, we've already been down that path...
              You know all those two parent families back in the 50s? A lot of them shouldn't have been two parent families. All those families where abuse was hushed up? They really should have divorced. For a lot of families, staying together was bad. I believe Inky explained that one to you. Well, if you consider that some of those families back then really should have broken up, then the increase in divorce rates doesn't seem quite as bad. Maybe the divorce rate should have been higher all along....certainly abused spouses and children should have been able to get out.
              And suing, instead of working things out...
              This one is mixed, to me - not clearly bad the way it is to you. Yes, there are frivolous lawsuits. On the other hand, folks have more opportunity for legal redress when mistreated or cheated nowadays. I'd call it about a wash. And slipping in
              education... A HS diploma doesn't mean what it used to, in many, many
              cases
              that I have seen and read about. Of course, I've spent a fair chunk of my
              time
              in some heavily Hispanic communities, where education still is such a tough sell. (If you've "been there", you know what I am talking about). I wonder if you'd feel the same if you had spent more time in Asian communities?
              If THAT isn't fundamentally important, in fact, the most important stuff, I don't know what is. And in those areas, we are slipping badly.
              Actually, I think the discrimination and abuse stuff is the most important. YMMV
              OK, that's probably a little more balanced, SB. You're probably right in much
              of this, as viewed in a more balanced perspective. (Just kick me once in
              awhile, when I miss some of this, cause I often seem to).

              So - thanks for pointing it all out again, SB. I really think I need this
              sometimes. Actually, I know I need it, lest I go off the deep end... Hmmm.
              Maybe I already have, to some extent...


              Comment


              • #8
                OT - Am I missing something?

                "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
                Doug Anderson wrote:
                My neck of the woods is thick with summer youth camps (or at any rate, there are so many, so that one can always find a place even with short notice). In other words, supply meets demand. So I see no evidence that camps are going out of business at all, and if they are, I suspect it is because there are enough of them. You ought to talk with some of the natives in Maine. I can tell you for a fact that many of the summer camps have folded. If you don't believe that, then I believe you're not looking at this broadly enough - in the context of the last FOUR decades of change. I went back looking for a few, and they're not there anymore. I didn't say there weren't any summer camps. Please don't misquote me, Doug. Your idea of "thick with summer camps", and mine, might very well be different.
                If there are enough summer camps so that all the campers who want one can
                find one (and I think there are, what with kids of my own at that age now),
                then I expect the ones that folded did so for basic economic reasons like
                supply and demand.

                I said what I meant by "thick with them." If there were more, some
                would have to close, since there wouldn't be enough campers to make
                them all profitable.

                Doug

                Comment


                • #9
                  OT - Am I missing something?

                  Herr Taurus wrote:
                  On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:00:46 GMT, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
                  As for the two parent family structure, well, we've already been down that path... And suing, instead of working things out... And slipping in education... A HS diploma doesn't mean what it used to, in many, many
                  cases
                  that I have seen and read about. Of course, I've spent a fair chunk of my
                  time
                  in some heavily Hispanic communities, where education still is such a tough sell. (If you've "been there", you know what I am talking about). If THAT isn't fundamentally important, in fact, the most important stuff, I don't know what is. And in those areas, we are slipping badly. Compared to WHEN?
                  To a few decades ago - not compared to the Middle Ages. :-)
                  Most schools now have separate classrooms for each grade...rather than all the grades in one room. I think that's a big advancement...although maybe not necessary. I'm still puzzled as to why we went to ball-point pens. Took a lot of the fun out of going to school.
                  Spilling that fountain pen ink on your shirts really sucked! And boy did you
                  get it when you got home, if you did. LOL!


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    OT - Am I missing something?

                    >and drive 50 miles with my buddies on a weekend
                    to get White Castle's at 9 each!
                    Hmmmm. White Castles.

                    Tracey

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      OT - Am I missing something?

                      "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
                      You used to be able to get FREE state maps too. (For those of ya old enough to remember).
                      Yeah. They don't give them out anymore because they are afraid of
                      getting sued if someone gets lost (no, no, it has nothing to do with
                      the fact that cars are more reliable and hence selling gas has become
                      a business which competes on price instead of service)

                      I know this because someone I know who's father's cousin worked in a service
                      station told me so.
                      And an attendant would come out, and check the WATER and the OIL and the tire pressure for ya. And clean your windshield. Can you believe it? It was true.....
                      I blame the lawyers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OT - Am I missing something?

                        Doug Anderson wrote:
                        "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
                        And an attendant would come out, and check the WATER and the OIL and the tire pressure for ya. And clean your windshield. Can you believe it? It was true.....
                        I blame the lawyers.
                        You should. Have you seen how many more attorneys there are today, than a few
                        decades ago? Just look at your yellow pages in your phone book. For a city,
                        the Attorney section is NOW about an inch thick - THESE DAYS.

                        Gee, I wonder what that indicates? Could it be that our current "advanced"
                        society just "sues it out, rather than works it out"? Nah, can't be. Must
                        be the drugs I'm on.....It sure as hell can't be associated with a decline in
                        personal responsibility, now can it?


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OT - Am I missing something?

                          You had White Castles all the way north to MN???

                          Tracey wrote:
                          and drive 50 miles with my buddies on a weekendto get White Castle's at 9 each! Hmmmm. White Castles. Tracey

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            OT - Am I missing something?

                            Doug Anderson wrote:
                            "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
                            You used to be able to get FREE state maps too. (For those of ya old enough
                            to
                            remember). Yeah. They don't give them out anymore because they are afraid of getting sued if someone gets lost (no, no, it has nothing to do with the fact that cars are more reliable and hence selling gas has become a business which competes on price instead of service)
                            So you acknowledge we have LESS service these days. Oh, isn't that progress!


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              OT - Am I missing something?

                              "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
                              Doug Anderson wrote:
                              "Bill" <[email protected]> writes:
                              You used to be able to get FREE state maps too. (For those of ya old enough
                              to
                              remember). Yeah. They don't give them out anymore because they are afraid of getting sued if someone gets lost (no, no, it has nothing to do with the fact that cars are more reliable and hence selling gas has become a business which competes on price instead of service)
                              So you acknowledge we have LESS service these days. Oh, isn't that progress!
                              Full service gas stations still exist. People tend to patronize (in
                              most of the US) self-service stations because they are cheaper and
                              because moden cars _need_ less service. You get what you pay for.
                              It's got nothing to do with litigation costs.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X