• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this tree be saved? [LIGHTNING DAMAGE PIX]

Would like to know if you think ths tree can be saved... our tree guy
    is nowhere in sight...

The blasts we heard last night were tremendous, ear shattering. Yet my
    2 yo son slept through all that! (around 3 am)

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/lightning/

Thankfully, both of my computers were protected by UPSes.

The tree destroyed was a huge 200 year old oak.

Pieces of that oak were strewn 50 yards away.

i

Can this tree be saved? [LIGHTNING DAMAGE PIX]

While not an arborist, or a psychologist (interesting choice of crosspost
    locations) I think it will probably survive since it does not have damage
    all the way around. Hopefully it will heal up before any borers can inflict
    damage. Good luck!
    "Ignoramus8786" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] .com...
    Would like to know if you think ths tree can be saved... our tree guy is nowhere in sight... The blasts we heard last night were tremendous, ear shattering. Yet my 2 yo son slept through all that! (around 3 am) http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/lightning/ Thankfully, both of my computers were protected by UPSes. The tree destroyed was a huge 200 year old oak. Pieces of that oak were strewn 50 yards away. i

Comment

Thanks LG, I am greatly hoping that the tree will live.

And yes, indeed it saved the house. Ours is right on top of the local
      hill (a relatively small hill but nevertheless at the highest
      elevation).

i

In article <[email protected]>, Lawrence Glickman wrote:
      On 6 Jul 2003 17:49:05 GMT, Ignoramus8786<[email protected]> wrote:|Would like to know if you think ths tree can be saved... our tree guy|is nowhere in sight...||The blasts we heard last night were tremendous, ear shattering. Yet my|2 yo son slept through all that! (around 3 am)||http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/lightning/||Thankfully, both of my computers were protected by UPSes.||The tree destroyed was a huge 200 year old oak.||Pieces of that oak were strewn 50 yards away.||i Consider the probability that the tree saved your house. Small price to pay? To answer your question, the tree WILL LIVE. I have one near me just like that. It will get along quite well if you just leave it alone. Lg

Comment

On 6 Jul 2003 18:50:17 GMT, Ignoramus8786
        <[email protected]> wrote:

|Thanks LG, I am greatly hoping that the tree will live.

It will be fine. I can take photos of one near me ( within 1/2 a
        block ) that is in exactly the same situation. It is growing just
        fine. Years after the hit. I only don't have anywhere to post the
        photos.

Don't worry about it. Nature is resilient.

Lg

Comment

On 6 Jul 2003 18:50:17 GMT, Ignoramus8786
          Thanks LG, I am greatly hoping that the tree will live.And yes, indeed it saved the house. Ours is right on top of the localhill (a relatively small hill but nevertheless at the highestelevation).
          Being on the highest elevation does not always mean you are the best
          target. Lightning is a strange beast and can pick one person out of a
          crowd of thousands to hit. A girl at a concert was hit by lightning
          even though the stadium and light towers provided a much better path
          to ground.

iIn article <[email protected]>, Lawrence Glickman wrote:
          On 6 Jul 2003 17:49:05 GMT, Ignoramus8786<[email protected]> wrote:|Would like to know if you think ths tree can be saved... our tree guy|is nowhere in sight...||The blasts we heard last night were tremendous, ear shattering. Yet my|2 yo son slept through all that! (around 3 am)||http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/lightning/||Thankfully, both of my computers were protected by UPSes.||The tree destroyed was a huge 200 year old oak.||Pieces of that oak were strewn 50 yards away.||i Consider the probability that the tree saved your house. Small price to pay? To answer your question, the tree WILL LIVE. I have one near me just like that. It will get along quite well if you just leave it alone. Lg

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

www.sandpoint.net/captkirk
          www.stormyacres.com

Comment

Ignoramus8786 wrote:
            Would like to know if you think ths tree can be saved... our tree guyis nowhere in sight...The blasts we heard last night were tremendous, ear shattering. Yet my2 yo son slept through all that! (around 3 am)http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/lightning/Thankfully, both of my computers were protected by UPSes.The tree destroyed was a huge 200 year old oak.Pieces of that oak were strewn 50 yards away.i
            You have to cover the exposed part of the stem with something otherwise
            the tree will dry out.
            I don't remember with what but a professional gardener should know.

Comment

Ignoramus8786 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] a.com>...
              Thanks LG, I am greatly hoping that the tree will live. And yes, indeed it saved the house. Ours is right on top of the local hill (a relatively small hill but nevertheless at the highest elevation).
              I agree with LG, since only one side of the tree looks affected,
              probably the tree will survive.
              I think you've been lucky it was nightime, no one around...
              remember a couple of years ago, in a park near Milan an even
              bigger tree (but it wasn't an oak )was hit and actually exploded.
              Only the roots remained, the trunk and branches disappeared,
              several people were wounded by debris an a girl 100 mt far
              was hit by a chunk and died <<
              r.l.

Comment

In article <[email protected] >, renato luciani wrote:
                Ignoramus8786 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] a.com>...
                Thanks LG, I am greatly hoping that the tree will live. And yes, indeed it saved the house. Ours is right on top of the local hill (a relatively small hill but nevertheless at the highest elevation).
                I agree with LG, since only one side of the tree looks affected, probably the tree will survive. I think you've been lucky it was nightime, no one around... remember a couple of years ago, in a park near Milan an even bigger tree (but it wasn't an oak )was hit and actually exploded. Only the roots remained, the trunk and branches disappeared, several people were wounded by debris an a girl 100 mt far was hit by a chunk and died << r.l.
                I am glad that my tree exploded away from the house. Otherwise windows
                would be shattered by flying bark.

i

Comment

I would go out there with at least a gallon of the black sticky stuff to
                  protect the bare wood from all manner of bugs and varments.
                  -Bruce

"Ignoramus8786" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                  news:[email protected] .com...
                  Would like to know if you think ths tree can be saved... our tree guy is nowhere in sight... The blasts we heard last night were tremendous, ear shattering. Yet my 2 yo son slept through all that! (around 3 am) http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/lightning/ Thankfully, both of my computers were protected by UPSes. The tree destroyed was a huge 200 year old oak. Pieces of that oak were strewn 50 yards away. i

Comment

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:59:34 GMT, "B" <[email protected]> wrote:

|I would go out there with at least a gallon of the black sticky stuff to
                    |protect the bare wood from all manner of bugs and varments.
                    |-Bruce

Actually, that is NOT a good idea.
                    Forestry people have told me it is best to let it heal by itself.
                    Painting it with creosote or such isn't a good idea, in -their-
                    opinion.

Same with limbing a tree. Leave it exposed. Do not paint with
                    anything. _according_ for U.S. Forest Service.

Look it up for yourself if you don't believe me.

Lg

Comment

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:07:49 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
                      On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:59:34 GMT, "B" <[email protected]> wrote:|I would go out there with at least a gallon of the black sticky stuff to|protect the bare wood from all manner of bugs and varments.|-BruceActually, that is NOT a good idea.Forestry people have told me it is best to let it heal by itself.Painting it with creosote or such isn't a good idea, in -their-opinion.Same with limbing a tree. Leave it exposed. Do not paint withanything. _according_ for U.S. Forest Service.Look it up for yourself if you don't believe me.Lg

The same group that has let our forests become tinder boxes ready to
                      explode?

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

www.sandpoint.net/captkirk
                      www.stormyacres.com

Comment

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 18:17:50 -0700, 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

|The same group that has let our forests become tinder boxes ready to
                        |explode?

Yah, the same nitwits.
                        Now you got me to thinkin......

Comment

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:59:34 GMT, "B" <[email protected]> wrote:
                          I would go out there with at least a gallon of the black sticky stuff toprotect the bare wood from all manner of bugs and varments.-Bruce
                          NO!!!! tar would be far more damaging, most of the vascular system is
                          in place. What borer attacks oak?

Comment

Ignoramus8786 wrote:
                            Would like to know if you think ths tree can be saved... our tree guy is nowhere in sight... The blasts we heard last night were tremendous, ear shattering. Yet my 2 yo son slept through all that! (around 3 am) http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/lightning/
                            Hey, cool, Igor has his own "blasted oak"!

You realise this is probably a message from God, warning you about your evil
                            cross-posting habits, don't you?

I think you should wait for the tree professional's opinion but if the tree
                            wasn't fried outright, and it hasn't been ring-barked or structurally
                            weakened then the main thing to worry about is preventing disease getting
                            into the exposed wood. However, it looks as if the tree is pretty close to
                            your house. You need to be sure it isn't going to weaken and fall on your
                            house (or some innocent passerby).

You have some grand trees around your property, I hope this one can be
                            saved.

Tai

Comment

"Tai" said:
                              You realise this is probably a message from God, warning you about your
                              evil
                              cross-posting habits, don't you?
                              Tai!!! Hi there!!! Gee, if this hadn't been cross posted, i wouldn't have
                              seen you!!! How are you??? I haven't been to asm lately, been hanging out
                              here at asd, but oh - nice to see another true blue here, 'oh what a
                              feeling'! haha!

Temily

Comment

Working...
                              X