Work past shift with kids Louisiana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work past shift with kids Louisiana

Can I be fired if my boss gives me less than 24 hours notice that I need to work late? I have kids that need to be picked up at daycare for a certain time. I told him I need more notice and he said he didn't know. This was because of inventory needing to be done which he knew about for months ahead of time. He just didn't think he needed me for it. Everyone else had been knowing. He said to make arrangements. I told him if he'd given me more notice, I'd could have gotten my Mom to request off and pick them up. Also that my husband was on nights and those were the only 2 people I had. I called my Mom later and she was getting off early the next day and said she could get them. So, I called and told him. He said he may not need me after all. He ended up not needing me after all. I work at a state hospital that is being taken over by another one. I just want to know my rights because everything will be new. What am I supposed to do with my kids if this happens again. This was the first time I ran into this situation. I was told by someone in human resources today that they can do that.

And they were right - they can.

Your child care issues are not your employer's problem. You need to have backup arrangements ready to go in case of problems. Legally, your employer can tell you as you're putting on your coat to take it off and sit back down - you need to stay late. No specific notice is required by law.

Whether he WILL fire you for not being available at a moment's notice, we cannot say. But if he DOES, it is legal.

The ONLY exception, as Betty will tell you if I do not , is if you have a legally binding and enforceable contract that guarantees you x amount of notice before you can be required to work overtime.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Should there be something in a policy that states weather or not notice is required by them? Like I said, it will be technically a new job and we don't know any of the policies. I guess the law doesn't want parents to work if they allow this. But, also make it illegal to leave your kids home alone.

I feel it is poor management if he tells me I'll need to stay late, then I make arrangements then he doesn't even need me.

Seems like I'd at least be able to get them from the place that is closing to another place. I mean really, what do I do?
      Last edited by lucky4you; 06-22-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Ideally, yes, in a perfect world there would be policies about it. But there's no requirement that there be, and the lack of a policy does not make it illegal for the employer to demand it.

If it were illegal to manage badly, a lot of employers would be in jail.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree/concur with cbg's posts.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I concur with Betty3's post.
            I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
            Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
            I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
            Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

This was this morning deleted as a soft delete of thread. I had to undelete thread so once again, everyone please be careful of legitimate threads mixed in with spam threads.

Thanks.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Did I accidentally nail it? I know I did a bunch earlier, but I usually look real good at the titles.
                I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Since you brought it up, yes in this case. It's not just you though - we all need to be careful.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm now wondering how often parents run into this problem. I guess I'm lucky this was the (almost) first time. Also wondering what the point of a schedule is if they can change it without notice. In looking for other jobs, I always find out the hours. I don't apply if the hours conflict with sitters hours. Anyway, thanks again!

Comment

It's most likely going to be hard to find a job where they will guarantee never changing the hours/schedule - & for a guarantee you would need a legally written binding employment contract. Otherwise, they can change them no matter what they tell you.

I would assume parents run into this fairly often. Employers have to have some sort of schedule or no one would know when their regular (normal) hrs. they are to work are. They can change the schedule, add add'l. hrs., & reduce hrs. though minus a binding employment contract to the contrary.

Good luck on your job hunt.

Comment

It is not just parents who have obligations after the scheduled work day. The law doesn't treat parents with inadequate child care any differently than any other employee. While notice is nice, it is not always possible, nor is it required.
                        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Some people work a part-time job also besides their regular job & a change of schedule can interfere with those hours. However, their regular employer can't be concerned with that job & doesn't need to work a schedule around those hours.

Comment

Working...
                          X